Old 30-09-2006, 12:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hot Peppers

I have a lot of hot peppers (habenero, Thai and Cayenne) that are still
green. We should be getting a frost very soon..in the next few days. Can I
just pick all of them and use them green or is there a way to get them to
ripen up after being picked? Either way they will probably make a good
sauce.
Thanks,
John

Old 01-10-2006, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

John wrote:
I have a lot of hot peppers (habenero, Thai and Cayenne) that are still
green. We should be getting a frost very soon..in the next few days. Can I
just pick all of them and use them green or is there a way to get them to
ripen up after being picked? Either way they will probably make a good
sauce.
Thanks,
John

Many peppers will ripen on their own after being picked. I string my
excess peppers on ristras and dry them. After they are dry, you can
just pick what you need from the ristra to throw in soups, sauces, or
whatever. I had a pile of Jalapenos that I treated that way. Most were
green when I strung them up but after a couple of weeks they have
turned red and are getting dry. The ristras also make great fall decor
just hanging up.
Gary

Old 08-10-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

I just throw them in paper bag and let them ripen there. Check every week
or two and cull any that are starting to rot. Yes, you can use them green,
but I prefer them ripe.

"John" wrote in message
I have a lot of hot peppers (habenero, Thai and Cayenne) that are still
green. We should be getting a frost very soon..in the next few days. Can I
just pick all of them and use them green or is there a way to get them to
ripen up after being picked? Either way they will probably make a good
sauce.
Thanks,
John

[IMG] code is On

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Peppers inside peppers Chris Dutton Gardening 2 28-02-2006 05:19 PM
Help! Too many hot banana peppers! Bpyboy Edible Gardening 4 27-07-2003 12:22 AM
Hot weather tomatoes & bell peppers ? Gene S Texas 17 15-04-2003 03:45 PM