Old 03-10-2006, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Flowers to plant in October?

Are there any flowers I could plant now (3 October) that would survive
and look moderately pretty in a few months?

I live near Atlanta. The flowers would be in a big pot that would be
in a screened-in porch on the south side of the house. They'd have at
least a few hours of sun each day. Temps will occasionally get below
freezing in December and January, so I could bring them inside on those
days, if necessary.

Thanks for any info,

Mel

Old 03-10-2006, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Mel wrote:
Are there any flowers I could plant now (3 October) that would survive
and look moderately pretty in a few months?

I live near Atlanta. The flowers would be in a big pot that would be
in a screened-in porch on the south side of the house. They'd have at
least a few hours of sun each day. Temps will occasionally get below
freezing in December and January, so I could bring them inside on those
days, if necessary.

Thanks for any info,

Mel

pansies?

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 03-10-2006, 11:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/2/06 11:16 PM, in article
, "Carl 1 Lucky Texan"
wrote:

Mel wrote:
Are there any flowers I could plant now (3 October) that would survive
and look moderately pretty in a few months?

I live near Atlanta. The flowers would be in a big pot that would be
in a screened-in porch on the south side of the house. They'd have at
least a few hours of sun each day. Temps will occasionally get below
freezing in December and January, so I could bring them inside on those
days, if necessary.

Thanks for any info,

Mel

pansies?

Carl

Mums (with out regard to species name) or flowering cabbages or flowering
kale.

Cheryl

Old 03-10-2006, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mel wrote:
Are there any flowers I could plant now (3 October) that would survive
and look moderately pretty in a few months?

I live near Atlanta. The flowers would be in a big pot that would be
in a screened-in porch on the south side of the house. They'd have at
least a few hours of sun each day. Temps will occasionally get below
freezing in December and January, so I could bring them inside on those
days, if necessary.

Thanks for any info,

Mel

I'm in Atlanta too and thinking of planting some Violas this year.

HTH,

Nick

--
Nick Owen
http://www.gardentodo.com

Old 03-10-2006, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2 Oct 2006 19:43:46 -0700, "Mel" wrote:

Are there any flowers I could plant now (3 October) that would survive
and look moderately pretty in a few months?

I live near Atlanta. The flowers would be in a big pot that would be
in a screened-in porch on the south side of the house. They'd have at
least a few hours of sun each day. Temps will occasionally get below
freezing in December and January, so I could bring them inside on those
days, if necessary.

Thanks for any info,

Mel

A lot.

Torenia
pansies
allysum
mums
ornamental kale
petunias

I just planted my wildflower seeds a week ago. I planted California
poppies, bluebonnets, larkspur, nigella and others. These come up
every spring, but I still collect seed and put it out in the fall for
spring.

[IMG] code is On

irises in october in north dakota. larry Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
SBS needs Artist for October DC Bonsai 0 22-07-2003 03:22 PM
Need info on October Glory Maple trees paslaz Gardening 3 26-05-2003 12:44 AM
UK vCJD October 2002 Torsten Brinch sci.agriculture 11 26-04-2003 12:23 PM
Grass seed growth in October Tumbleweed United Kingdom 0 17-10-2002 06:14 PM