Old 10-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Registered User

Default Is the Traditional Christmas tree dead?

Has anyone been paying attention to the debate concerning using a traditional tree at Christmas?

There is a raging debate and personally I fear the PC brigade are taking it too far.

http://www.landscapejuice.com/2006/1..._christma.html

Juicer
Old 10-12-2006, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ahh thats not going to catch on real fast. Especially in the States.

quoteNow Bob Flowerdew, the BBC gardeners Question Time panelist and
organic gardener has fueled the debate by buying a plastic tree instead
of a traditional Norway Spruce, claiming that Britons are "slowly
torture them [Christmas Trees] to death"./quote
{rolls eyes}

Its more funny than anything else

Merry Christmas All

Chuckie

Old 10-12-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Juicer" wrote in message

Has anyone been paying attention to the debate concerning using a
traditional tree at Christmas?

There is a raging debate and personally I fear the PC brigade are
taking it too far.

http://tinyurl.com/y4yovr

Juicer

As soon as the traditional christmas tree is cut down it is dead.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 10-12-2006, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"As soon as the traditional Christmas tree is cut down it is dead."

Your Point?
I see a good use for the tree once you are done with it. Firewood
Chuckie in the ever increasingly cold North
Global warming is a myth because I am still shoveling snow
Zone 5b

Old 11-12-2006, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Juicer wrote:
There is a raging debate and personally I fear the PC brigade are
taking it too far.

whats this about holiday trees?

well, mine is a fake tree, just because i've been renting for decades.
1st x-mas as a homeowner and i have it up just because I have not
unpacked enough to do a "real" tree.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Putting up a plastic tree is a crime. Why even celebrate at that point.
How about a plastic wedding ring, or plastic food to ingest. What a
bunch of sheep.

--
Juicer

Old 12-12-2006, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Juicer wrote:

Has anyone been paying attention to the debate concerning using a
traditional tree at Christmas?

There is a raging debate and personally I fear the PC brigade are
taking it too far.

http://tinyurl.com/y4yovr

Juicer

--
Juicer

First, its a wedding band made from highly refined (and in the case of
gold, probably recycled multiple times) metal. So unless you're wearing
ORE it's a false analogy. And some folks have non-traditional wedding
bands (I work with a guy who has a circumferential tattoo, as does his
wife, on the ring finger) made from other than
gold/platinum(wood,tunsten,titanium,jade,etc.).

And no one is suggesting one ingest a Xmas tree - indeed, natural trees
often release pollen that causes allergies for some - not to mention the
increase in fire danger. plastic food? another false analogy.
It's an ornament. Do you use candles on your tree? Do you string popcorn
and cranberries for garlands? If you do, fine. But criticising someone
for buying a plastic or aluminum ot other type tree is silly. As a
child, we once had a livving tree (cedra deodora) that we planted after
the holidays, as a newlywed we enjoyed decorationg a Norfolk Island Pine
one year and even had a flat green-paper tree on the wall when we had
toddlers. We now use a plastic tree. I would never, however, criticsize
someone who chose to use a 'real' tree.

just chill out and have a happy holiday!

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 13-12-2006, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

I was going to shoot off a rant, mainly about some of us are only
fortunate to have just a plastic tree, and in some years with nothing
under it.

but you on the other hand have shown that the replier was wrong, and
showed one of the facets of the true meaning of christmas.

you deserve to get every gift you asked for, ever.

Old 13-12-2006, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Tater wrote:

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

I was going to shoot off a rant, mainly about some of us are only
fortunate to have just a plastic tree, and in some years with nothing
under it.

but you on the other hand have shown that the replier was wrong, and
showed one of the facets of the true meaning of christmas.

you deserve to get every gift you asked for, ever.

I decided years ago to make a list (kids are much easier to shop for
than adults) and the number one thing at the top each year is; 1. World
Peace

so far

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 13-12-2006, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ps.com...
Putting up a plastic tree is a crime. Why even celebrate at that point.
How about a plastic wedding ring, or plastic food to ingest. What a
bunch of sheep.

Real tree is $50 where I life and is use once.Fake tree I paid $20 and last
for years.

Old 15-12-2006, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hey we already have plastic surgery that has given us plastic tits so why not a
plastic tree?

Juicer wrote:
Has anyone been paying attention to the debate concerning using a
traditional tree at Christmas?

There is a raging debate and personally I fear the PC brigade are
taking it too far.

http://tinyurl.com/y4yovr

Juicer

--