Old 29-12-2006, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default planting grass seed in north florida during the winter?

I am in northern florida where many plants go dormant during the
winter. Recently we dug a large pond and spread the dirt 1 foot deep
over at least an acre... Since the soil is barren and soft I would
love to buy and spread grass seed at this point (late December)...
Everywhere I read concerning grass seed it says to plant it in the
spring... however I would love to put it down now to get it over with
and because the soil is currently so workable. My thought is that the
seed would remain dormant until the spring anyway... After all doesn't
in nature the grass seed develops on the grass during the late summer
and fall and then it falls to the ground where it stays until it
sprouts in the spring...
So will I be wasting the seed if I put it out now... (I am thinking of
a mix of common bermuda, centipede, and carpet grass)... I am also
going to sprig in St. Augustine later... I know that it is a
"scattergun" approach to grass but I figure that the one best suited
for the conditions will thrive and takeover.. Thanks David