Old 14-05-2007, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree planting during hot summer - bad?

Hello,
I was wondering if it was OK for me to transplant a Yaupon Holly this
week in San Antonio, Texas? The reason why I ask is because I heard
that I should wait until the Fall when temps begin to decline a little
bit. If i were to plant it now, the high summer heat would prevent the
tree from growing at its full potential during this early crucial
planting stage.

Is it OK for me to do it this week or should I wait until late
September?

Avg. temps a May (86), June (91), July (94), Aug (94), Sept (90),
Oct. (82).

Old 14-05-2007, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
skunker wrote:

Hello,
I was wondering if it was OK for me to transplant a Yaupon Holly this
week in San Antonio, Texas? The reason why I ask is because I heard
that I should wait until the Fall when temps begin to decline a little
bit. If i were to plant it now, the high summer heat would prevent the
tree from growing at its full potential during this early crucial
planting stage.

Is it OK for me to do it this week or should I wait until late
September?

Avg. temps a May (86), June (91), July (94), Aug (94), Sept (90),
Oct. (82).

I'd hazard a guess . May 86 vs. Sept 90 not that much BUT I'd
provide shade Shade and water often. Why risk it unless you have too.
Which makes no sense as gardening is not a race.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 15-05-2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

skunker wrote:
Hello,
I was wondering if it was OK for me to transplant a Yaupon Holly this
week in San Antonio, Texas? The reason why I ask is because I heard
that I should wait until the Fall when temps begin to decline a little
bit. If i were to plant it now, the high summer heat would prevent the
tree from growing at its full potential during this early crucial
planting stage.

Is it OK for me to do it this week or should I wait until late
September?

Avg. temps a May (86), June (91), July (94), Aug (94), Sept (90),
Oct. (82).

Wait until October. The soil will still be quite warm, encouraging root
growth. The air will begin to cool, reducing water stress.

Where I live, October and early November are the prime planting months
for trees and shrubs. But bare root items are not planted until January
and February.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean