Old 07-01-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Potted Blue Spruce Care

The city of Chicago has a recycling program where if you turn in your
old christmas tree to be run through the chipper, they give you a blue
spruce sapling.

I want to grow mine inside (in an apartment) - but have no idea how to
care for it. I have searched the internet and only find care
instructions for outdoor trees.

The sapling is about 14" total length. The 'above ground' portion is
8" and the 'below ground' is 6". The roots came wrapped in a burlap
cylinder about 1" diameter.

Here's what I have done so far (yesterday). I bought Miracle Grow
Moisture Control Potting Mix and a 1 gallon plastic pot. I filled he
pot with about 2" of potting soil and thouroughly soaked it. stood the
plant up on top of that and added another 6" of potting soil around
that. I slowly added a quart of water, letting it soak in, gently
tamping down the soil, and then adding more soil to get back up to the
6". About twelve hours later it felt try so I added another pint of
water.

The tree is in a window where it will get about 3 hours of direct sun a
day and about 6 hours of indirect sun.

My first question is, "How much water is enough or too much?"

From there - Anything else I should do to promote growth?

Old 07-01-2007, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob hob is offline

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

From there - Anything else I should do to promote growth?

Blue spruce get 60+ feet high, and normally live in rocky and sandy soil in
the mountains.

To minimize the fungus that makes them drop their needles and go bare at the
bottom, they should be planted in a windy, open area -- preferably one that
exposes them to -40 or so windchill a couple months a year - or you will
need to spray it with a fungicide a couple times a year.

Growing one indoors? Use a small pot and keep it potbound. Rotate
regularly. Don't overwater (let the soil get "almost dry" before
re-watering).

imho...

Old 08-01-2007, 04:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7 Jan 2007 08:18:01 -0800, wrote:

[...]

From there - Anything else I should do to promote growth?

Basically all trees are outdoor trees. Some subtropicals live in
climates enough like that inside our houses that they manage to
survive.

Many temperate climate trees require a cold dormant period in their
annual growth cycle. It is highly likely that a spruce will do a slow
decline and die unless it gets outdoor sun levels and at least a few
weeks of winter temperatures each year. If you have a small balcony
you might have a better chance.

But try it, what have you got to lose.

DaveT

[IMG] code is On

Large spruce overgrowing small spruce? Dave K. Gardening 1 09-05-2004 02:03 PM
Colorado Blue Spruce questions Matt Gardening 6 20-05-2003 09:44 AM
colorado blue spruce...how to make bluer? Requester Gardening 2 06-05-2003 06:20 PM
Blue Spruce Lori Lawns 1 27-04-2003 12:44 PM
a choice between blue-spruce and pear tree growing together Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:24 PM