Old 27-01-2007, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Flax in Zone 5?

Has anyone had any success at growing flax in Zone 5?
Old 27-01-2007, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 27, 9:54 am, FragileWarrior
wrote:
Has anyone had any success at growing flax in Zone 5?

Most of the flax in North America is grown in Zone 4, so you are fine.

Old 28-01-2007, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"simy1" wrote in news:1169934046.734355.256410
@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

wrote:
Has anyone had any success at growing flax in Zone 5?

Most of the flax in North America is grown in Zone 4, so you are fine.

Really? Where is it grown? Is it a perennial in Zone 4? Is there a
certain kind. I saw one plant in a catalog but it was rated Zone 10 which
sort of surprised me.
Old 28-01-2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Has anyone had any success at growing flax in Zone 5?

Most of the flax in North America is grown in Zone 4, so you are fine.Really? Where is it grown? Is it a perennial in Zone 4? Is there a

certain kind. I saw one plant in a catalog but it was rated Zone 10 which
sort of surprised me.

It depends on what you are calling "flax"
The commercial oil and fiber flax is Linum usitatissimum
There are others: L. flavum, Golden flax, per. from Eur. yellow
flowers
L. grandiflorum, reddish pink flowers, annual, N. Afr. often in
wildflower mix
L. narbonense, Mediterranen flax, per. blue flowers
L. perenne, per. Blue flowers, Eur/Asia
L. lewisii, W. Blue Flax, per. native to W. US.
These are mostly pretty hardy. (There are about 200 species of Linum.)

The other"flax" is New Zealand Flax or Phormium tenax.Tall,, about 8
feet,
long leaves come from the ground and are strappy. Many cultivars are
used in landscaping: green leaves , bronze, reddish.very striking
plant.
(used by flower arrangers) Tender, zones 9-10, maybe 8.

Emilie
NorCal

Old 28-01-2007, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

"mleblanca" wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:
[...]

I'm betting what I saw was the New Zealand Flax. I had no idea there
were different kinds. Thanks for the education. I'm off to find that
catalogue and check.

Old 28-01-2007, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 27, 7:10 pm, FragileWarrior
wrote:

Most of the flax in North America is grown in Zone 4, so you are fine.Really? Where is it grown? Is it a perennial in Zone 4? Is there a

certain kind. I saw one plant in a catalog but it was rated Zone 10 which
sort of surprised me.

Maybe not the same flax. I am talking about the blue flowered grass
from which the linen fiber is extracted, and whose seeds are now a
health fad. Mostly grown in the Canadian Plains.

Old 28-01-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"simy1" wrote in
oups.com:

wrote:

Most of the flax in North America is grown in Zone 4, so you are
fine.Really? Where is it grown? Is it a perennial in Zone 4? Is
there a

certain kind. I saw one plant in a catalog but it was rated Zone 10
which sort of surprised me.

Maybe not the same flax. I am talking about the blue flowered grass
from which the linen fiber is extracted, and whose seeds are now a
health fad. Mostly grown in the Canadian Plains.

This is fascinating! As I said in the previous post, I had no idea there
were such different plants all called "flax". I certainly didn't know what
the actual linen fiber flax plant looked like nor that it was grown on the
Canadian Plains. Thanks for the info. I'm off to study up.

One thing I did see already is that the flax is on one of the few plants
capable of producing a true blue flower. I do so LOVE blue flowers.
Old 29-01-2007, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Most of the flax in North America is grown in Zone 4, so you are
fine.Really? Where is it grown? Is it a perennial in Zone 4? Is
there a
certain kind. I saw one plant in a catalog but it was rated Zone 10
which sort of surprised me.

Maybe not the same flax. I am talking about the blue flowered grass
from which the linen fiber is extracted, and whose seeds are now a
health fad. Mostly grown in the Canadian Plains.This is fascinating! As I said in the previous post, I had no idea there

were such different plants all called "flax". I certainly didn't know what
the actual linen fiber flax plant looked like nor that it was grown on the
Canadian Plains. Thanks for the info. I'm off to study up.

One thing I did see already is that the flax is on one of the few plants
capable of producing a true blue flower. I do so LOVE blue flowers.

FW
According to Wyman's Garden Book, Linum usitatissimum, is an annual.
So if you are going to harvest it for linen, it doesn't matter if it
is perennial
or hardy in your zone. Blue flax flowers are really lovely, very
delicate.
I grow L. lewisii here in NorCal. Good luck with your linen
tablecloth!!
Emilie

Old 29-01-2007, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Most of the flax in North America is grown in Zone 4, so you are
fine.Really? Where is it grown? Is it a perennial in Zone 4? Is
there a
certain kind. I saw one plant in a catalog but it was rated Zone 10
which sort of surprised me.

Maybe not the same flax. I am talking about the blue flowered grass

(Not really a grass.)

from which the linen fiber is extracted, and whose seeds are now a
health fad. Mostly grown in the Canadian Plains.

This is fascinating! As I said in the previous post, I had no idea there
were such different plants all called "flax". I certainly didn't know what
the actual linen fiber flax plant looked like nor that it was grown on the
Canadian Plains. Thanks for the info. I'm off to study up.

One thing I did see already is that the flax is on one of the few plants
capable of producing a true blue flower. I do so LOVE blue flowers.

With those brilliant blue flowers, Linum lewisii is a staple here in
Santa Fe (Zone 5). It's a short-lived perennial that often reseeds,
so it's good for gardeners who are flexible about design--not so good
for those who want a blue plant /right there/ for years and /nowhere
else/. Outside the arid West, it would need a spot with good drainage
where rain and snow don't collect.

It's often said to do better from seed than transplanted, though that
hasn't always been my experience. It often blooms the first year from
seed. Try planting it as soon as possible, as it likes the cold. An
ad for a nursery here suggested throwing the seeds on top of snow, but
I don't know what would keep the birds from eating them.

I like the way the regrowing plants look in late winter and spring,
with stems sticking out in all directions, kind of symmetrically.

I've heard the straw makes good mulch. It's rough to the touch--
because of those strong fibers? And of course you should use it only
where you don't mind those blue flowers popping up.

--
Jerry Friedman