Old 17-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Nicholas

Default Distilling Mint

Does anyone know of an easy way to distill the oil from spearmint and
peppermint? Commercially, this is done with steam. But is it
possible to distill the oil with grain alcohol?
Old 18-04-2003, 05:20 AM
B & J

"Nicholas" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know of an easy way to distill the oil from spearmint and
peppermint? Commercially, this is done with steam. But is it
possible to distill the oil with grain alcohol?

We attended a session on distilling oils from herbs, and the speaker said
she used 3/4 part green or wet herb to 1/4 part alcohol. The alcohol was 80
proof vodka (40% alcohol). The vodka was poured over the herbs in a glass
jar and shaken vigorously every day for six weeks. The jar was stored in a
dark place. When the six week period was complete, the liquid was strained
through cheese cloth and then through a coffee filter. It was then stored in
a dark brown bottle.

John

Old 18-04-2003, 03:32 PM
mmarteen

Forgive my ignorance but what would this "tincture" be used for? Is it like
a liquer? an extract for baking? or some other household use.

On a related note, I am starting a lavender hedge this year and when it gets
big enough I am thinking of harvesting it for making lavender water for
rinsing linens. Not sure that the carrier ought to be alcohol
though...maybe glycerine?

mm

"B & J" wrote in message
om...

Old 18-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Vox Humana

"B & J" wrote in message
"Nicholas" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know of an easy way to distill the oil from spearmint and
peppermint? Commercially, this is done with steam. But is it
possible to distill the oil with grain alcohol?

We attended a session on distilling oils from herbs, and the speaker said
she used 3/4 part green or wet herb to 1/4 part alcohol. The alcohol was

80
proof vodka (40% alcohol). The vodka was poured over the herbs in a glass
jar and shaken vigorously every day for six weeks. The jar was stored in a
dark place. When the six week period was complete, the liquid was strained
through cheese cloth and then through a coffee filter. It was then stored

in
a dark brown bottle.

Technically, what you are describing is the extraction of the essential oil.
Distillation involves vaporizing liquids and then condensing the vapor in a
STILL. By taking advantage of the fact that various substances have
different boiling points you can separate the components that are part of a
solution.

The OP might want to do a search on "distilling." Because the process
involves heating flammable liquids it can be quite dangerous.