Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-02-2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Walmart "Bonzai"

Has anyone seen the current crop of faux Bonzai at Walmart? The are
selling for $10 but I was able to pick one up for half price out of a bunch
that looked like it had freeze or sun burn. Most of them were pretty
shriveled up and sorry looking but one had some promise so, unable to
resist a plant in need, I hauled it home, trimmed off the top of the
damages branches (taking out about 1/4 to 1/3 of the plant) and now it
looks pretty respectable. The branches oozed a milky sap briefly after
being cut. I have no idea what plant this is. I suspect some sort of
ficus but I don't know ficus at all. It has a most interesting and
contorted root system.

I'd appreciate it if you would take a look at it and see if you can
identify it. Go to:
http://community.webshots.com/user/deerhnd

It's the first photo in the PLANTS and GARDENS folder. (That should be the
first folder, too.)

And if anyone can tell me what Walmart pours over the gravel layer on top
of the soil that turns it into a solid, unmoveable mass, could you share
that info, too?

Thx.