Old 09-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Nullcode

Default Beginner Bonzai Help [from seed/fungi]

Morning, I hope you can help me, Im a complete cluebag at the moment as
to growing bonzai's. Basically, I bought this bonzai kit :

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page...G&title=145347

It appears to be a "Jack Pine" bonzai. Of the 6 seeds included, I cold
stratified 3, one of which sprouted[?]. After a week or 2 with nothing
but soil, the seed suddenly flew out and grew at what seemed to be a cm
a day. It has now slowed with its growth currently standing ... about 2
inches tall. The stem is about 1mm thick and 2/3's of the way up the
stem splits into 4, the base of the stem is beggining to brown.

The problem I have is that the surrounding soil is covered with a white
frosty looking fluff. From what Ive read Im guessing this is mildew[?],
although the sources ive read thus far mention cottonwool type fluff on
the tree itself and remedies for it, my tree is still too young/small to
support the fluff. Can anyone advise me on what it actually is and whats
the best way to remove it? Is it damaging to my tree?

FYI, I live in the west midlands of the UK where the outside temperature
is averaging between 1c - 10c. The tree is in bonzai soil[apparently],
placed in a window facing North West. There is very little air
circulation [which will be changed now, thank you IBC.org] I water it
periodically during the week trying to keep the soil moist at all times.
Adding water to a pot which the tree's pot then sits in. The tree is
about 2 months old in total[incl stratfication].

TIA

--
Nullcode
"Suffering is a result of desire"