Old 19-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Ed DeLauter

Default Broadleaf Houseplant Identification What is this?????

Hello,

We have a large houseplant that I need to identify. It is a
broadleaf species that has large leaves about 5-6 inches wide and 8-10
inches long. The plant has 5 stems from a central core at the soil
line. Leaves alternate on the stems and are shaped like a pear.
Beautiful green color. About 4 foot tall so far. Moderate growth rate.

I have a pic but nowhere to post it right now. If your interested
I can email to you.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 19-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Travis

Ed DeLauter wrote:
Hello,

We have a large houseplant that I need to identify. It is a
broadleaf species that has large leaves about 5-6 inches wide and 8-10
inches long. The plant has 5 stems from a central core at the soil
line. Leaves alternate on the stems and are shaped like a pear.
Beautiful green color. About 4 foot tall so far. Moderate growth rate.

I have a pic but nowhere to post it right now. If your interested
I can email to you.

Post it to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Old 19-04-2003, 06:08 PM
La Cesta Poderosa Grande Que Late de Trueno

You have an example of the Marphistes vine. This vine originated in
Ecuador and was first brought to the northern hemisphere by Spanish
explorers in 1563. The St. Augustine (Florida) Historical Society
Museum has a prime specimen estimated to be approximately 300 years old.
This particular vine has grown to be over 120 feet in length! The
Marphistes vine flowers in mid-summer and drops seeds the following
spring. The seeds are unusual in that they resemble miniature conch
shells in shape.

As the Marphistes vine naturally occurs on barren mountainsides, it
requires VERY acid soil to flourish. Go to your nearest pool supply
store and purchase a gallon of muriatic acid. Soak your potting soil
thoroughly with the acid and you should see results within 24 hours.
Should you have any muriatic acid left over, don't throw it away. It is
excellent for de-worming your dogs and cats or any left over husbands
you may have.

Old 21-04-2003, 01:32 PM
john

Ed DeLauter wrote:

Hello,

We have a large houseplant that I need to identify. It is a
broadleaf species that has large leaves about 5-6 inches wide and 8-10
inches long. The plant has 5 stems from a central core at the soil
line. Leaves alternate on the stems and are shaped like a pear.
Beautiful green color. About 4 foot tall so far. Moderate growth rate.

I have a pic but nowhere to post it right now. If your interested
I can email to you.

Thanks,
Ed

It sounds like a Ficus lyrata, or Fiddle Leaf Fig. Just do a google search
and check the pictures.