Old 07-04-2007, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Peach Tree Borer Treatment?

Anyone know what the current recommended treatment is to PREVENT peach
tree borer attacks in the West Texas or Desert Southwest region?

I know Lindane used to be effective but it's been banned by the EPA.
Ortho's big insect book which the nurseries keep for reference says
use something with Carbaryl (otherwise known as SEVIN?). But their
web page only lists Bug-be-Gone MAX. The MAX label boasts that it
controls over 100 different insects, including peach tree borers but
it seems to me that something developed to be so universal probably
wouldn't be as effective as a treatment specifically developed for the
borers.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Yes

proper pruning rather than improper pruning. Also proper planting also
reduces such borers opposed too improper pruning which can increase chances.

I have seen long columns of wood that was perfect on trees improperly
planted. Borers love it when trees are planted too deep. Especially the
prunus family.

Go here and go to the bottom of the page. This tree was planted a foot too
deep. This wood is what borers go for.
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html So what's the treatment. Proper
planting and proper pruning which will greatly reduce borers or better said,
improper planting and improper pruning greatly increase you chance or borers
as well as a list of other problems.
This was a good question.

heres a list of impropers that lead to borers as well as other problems.

Many tree problems are associated with the following:

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html and
Look up "Tree Planting"
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/index.html Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Lar" wrote in message

Anyone know what the current recommended treatment is to PREVENT peach
tree borer attacks in the West Texas or Desert Southwest region?

I know Lindane used to be effective but it's been banned by the EPA.
Ortho's big insect book which the nurseries keep for reference says
use something with Carbaryl (otherwise known as SEVIN?). But their
web page only lists Bug-be-Gone MAX. The MAX label boasts that it
controls over 100 different insects, including peach tree borers but
it seems to me that something developed to be so universal probably
wouldn't be as effective as a treatment specifically developed for the
borers.

The treatment is more of a timing issue so the Sevin would still work well
for the borers even though they target many other pests. Malathion
probably has the same treatment options but it won't last as long and a
follow up treatment probably would be in order. Early April is the time to
inspect where the trunk meets the grass and remove the cocoons by hand.

Lar

Old 07-04-2007, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Also
Less than 1% of the insects and fungi are harmful to humans. Think about
that when you use a product that kills everything.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman