Old 20-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Monroe

Default Drought Ravaged Lawn - Organic Fertilizer

Going though piles of info on organic fertilizers for lawns. Web
pages, newsgroups, mag's etc. etc. Looking for some current opinions
on this. I'm searching for a slow release fertilizer for grasses that
is completely non-toxic to domestic animals (dogs, cats). I have
about 3 acres of grass that has been hit heavily by an enduring
droughts for the past 4 years on the Canadian prairie. I've raked
some of the worst sections . . . . added peat, sheep manure and
heavily overseeded. Looking for recommendations on a good strategy.

Thanks
--

Monroe
Old 20-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Pam

Monroe wrote:

Going though piles of info on organic fertilizers for lawns. Web
pages, newsgroups, mag's etc. etc. Looking for some current opinions
on this. I'm searching for a slow release fertilizer for grasses that
is completely non-toxic to domestic animals (dogs, cats). I have
about 3 acres of grass that has been hit heavily by an enduring
droughts for the past 4 years on the Canadian prairie. I've raked
some of the worst sections . . . . added peat, sheep manure and
heavily overseeded. Looking for recommendations on a good strategy.

Sounds like you are taking the appropriate steps to rejuvenate your lawn.
I'd consider investing in a mulching mower - recycled mower clippings
("grasscycling") is the easiest and by far the least chemical method of
fertilizing your lawn.

http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/Organics/GrassCycling/

pam - gardengal

Old 21-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Pam contains these words:

Monroe wrote:

Going though piles of info on organic fertilizers for lawns. Web
pages, newsgroups, mag's etc. etc. Looking for some current opinions
on this. I'm searching for a slow release fertilizer for grasses that
is completely non-toxic to domestic animals (dogs, cats). I have
about 3 acres of grass that has been hit heavily by an enduring
droughts for the past 4 years on the Canadian prairie. I've raked
some of the worst sections . . . . added peat, sheep manure and
heavily overseeded. Looking for recommendations on a good strategy.

Sounds like you are taking the appropriate steps to rejuvenate your lawn.
I'd consider investing in a mulching mower - recycled mower clippings
("grasscycling") is the easiest and by far the least chemical method of
fertilizing your lawn.

I'd be a little wary of spreading peat on grass during a drought.Once
dried out, it's difficult to re-wet so you might find it having exactly
the opposite effect from the one you want.

Janet.

Old 21-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Phisherman

You could make your own compost, then you know what is in it. I
bought a load of mushroom compost, then later regreted the following
year fighting a lot of weeds. I now buy the processed, pelletized
manures--easy to broadcast. I think you want "low toxcity"
fertilizers (even water is toxic if you get too much of it).
:-)