Old 07-03-2005, 01:52 AM
Perk

Default Lawn height in a drought

Hi all,

Here in the Pacific Northwest they're already predicting a drought for
this summer due to our lack of snow-pack in our mountains.

This brings up a question that I've thought of many times but never asked.

In a drought situation is it better to cut one's grass short because
there's less of it to need the water or --- to leave it long on the
premise that the blades shadow the ground and, possibly, help to lessen
the evaporation ?

All the best,

Perk (:)

--
NOTE - The return email address is intentionally wrong.
To respond to me personally please use the following :
Old 07-03-2005, 03:12 AM
Rolling Thunder

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:52:36 -0800, Perk wrote:

snip:

In a drought situation is it better to cut one's grass short because
there's less of it to need the water or --- to leave it long on the
premise that the blades shadow the ground and, possibly, help to lessen
the evaporation ?

Longer is better. Helps keep the weeds down too.

Thunder
Old 07-03-2005, 03:26 AM
Steveo

Perk wrote:
Hi all,

Here in the Pacific Northwest they're already predicting a drought for
this summer due to our lack of snow-pack in our mountains.

This brings up a question that I've thought of many times but never
asked.

In a drought situation is it better to cut one's grass short because
there's less of it to need the water or --- to leave it long on the
premise that the blades shadow the ground and, possibly, help to lessen
the evaporation ?

All the best,

Perk (:)

Yes, cut it high for the reasons you mentioned..the shade also helps to
lower the soil temperature a bit too.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:27 AM
Timothy

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:52:36 -0800, Perk wrote:

Hi all,

Here in the Pacific Northwest they're already predicting a drought for
this summer due to our lack of snow-pack in our mountains.

This brings up a question that I've thought of many times but never asked.

In a drought situation is it better to cut one's grass short because
there's less of it to need the water or --- to leave it long on the
premise that the blades shadow the ground and, possibly, help to lessen
the evaporation ?

All the best,

Perk (:)

I would suggest that you aim for 2 3/4 to 3 inches in the summer 'round
here. It will still brown off in the end, but the weed invasion will be
much less.

I would also suggest that you fertilize the lawn before the end of april.
A healthy lawn will fare much better in the drought and come back from the
drought better.

Good luck to you.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com

levelling lawn 25 meters long height differential 3 meters rbarbs United Kingdom 11 21-08-2007 11:38 AM
dog-gone another drought, only this is a Spring time drought [email protected] Plant Science 5 06-06-2006 06:27 PM
Lawn grass height Juco United Kingdom 1 12-09-2004 01:42 PM
Winter lawn cutting height? CathyLee Gardening 2 06-10-2003 06:02 PM
Drought Ravaged Lawn - Organic Fertilizer Monroe Gardening 3 21-04-2003 04:21 PM