Old 15-04-2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question about boxwood shrub

Something happened to one of my boxwood shrubs. It looks as if
someone fell into it backside first, breaking many of the branches and
leaving a large, rounded section gone (picture a boxwood trimmed into
about a 20-inch square with a concave area the size of a large beach
ball on one side). I live right on the main street and the boxwood is
one of several lining the front walk, so some drunken idiot falling
into it is not out of the realm of possibility.

At any rate, will this fill in at all as time goes by? Or will this
particular shrub always have a big area missing? In other words, can
I prune this and hope to have it regain some of its nice, square
shape, or is my only choice to remove and replace it. Since it's one
of many, I sure hate to yank it out and replace it if I can avoid it,
since it will leave an obvious gap for a long time before a new one
fills in.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Jo Ann

Old 17-04-2007, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jo Ann" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have had my boxwoods fill in gaps and here is how I did it. When I did
my regular trimming I 'trimmed' within the hole so that the replacement
branches in there not only grew but branched. It took a few years, but it
looks like the hole was never there now.
Tomes

Old 17-04-2007, 06:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 15, 1:42�pm, "Jo Ann" wrote:
[...]

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/gardengary/boxwood.html

If it hasn't broken dormancy yet you can dig it up and turn it around
so that the "bad" side is not visible from the front.

Old 17-04-2007, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thank you both for the advice! Unfortunately, it has already broken
dormancy. Also, it's a very well established shrub in a boxwood
hedge, and I'm not sure if I could dig it up without damaging the
adjacent ones. For now, I'll be trying the trimming and see if I can
encourage it to fill in. Turning it around will be my ace in the hole
before I resort to replacing it down the road.

Thanks again!
Jo Ann

Old 17-04-2007, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jo Ann wrote in news:1176818730.546947.93310
@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

Thank you both for the advice! Unfortunately, it has already broken
dormancy. Also, it's a very well established shrub in a boxwood
hedge, and I'm not sure if I could dig it up without damaging the
adjacent ones. For now, I'll be trying the trimming and see if I can
encourage it to fill in. Turning it around will be my ace in the hole
before I resort to replacing it down the road.

Thanks again!
Jo Ann

You might want to embed a steel spike fence in the bushes so the next time
this happens you can follow the trail of blood to the offender and get them
to pay for the damage.