Old 27-04-2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Coffee Plants

I just picked up a pot of coffee plants from Wal-Mart yesterday, they
were sitting in a plastic container 1/3 full with water. I took them out
to let the roots dry out and am going to replant each one in it's own
pot, there's 6. I'm not too familiar with growing them as a house plant,
any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 27-04-2007, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Is this like the coffee plants you bought?
http://gurneys.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_11295

I want to get some myself. 7 years in Seattle turned me into a caffiene
junkie. And hopefully sometime this year I'll be moving back if everything I
plan stops going to hell, but oh well...anyways, I sure hope someone has
experience with them, I always prefer growing my own if possible.

Old 27-04-2007, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
nk.net...
Is this like the coffee plants you bought?
http://gurneys.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_11295

I want to get some myself. 7 years in Seattle turned me into a
caffiene
junkie. And hopefully sometime this year I'll be moving back if
everything I
plan stops going to hell, but oh well...anyways, I sure hope someone
has
experience with them, I always prefer growing my own if possible.

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and harvest
beans for your own brew.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 27-04-2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and harvest
beans for your own brew.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Not even in a greenhouse? Oh well. I just reminded myself in the dandelion
post that the roots make a good coffee substitute(I've actually tried it),
and I know those can grow pretty much anywhere in the continental US. :-)

Old 27-04-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:19:32 +0000, Lilah Morgan wrote:

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and harvest
beans for your own brew.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Not even in a greenhouse? Oh well. I just reminded myself in the
dandelion post that the roots make a good coffee substitute(I've
actually tried it), and I know those can grow pretty much anywhere in
the continental US. :-)

I'm just growing them because I can, not to try and make my own coffee,
although that would be cool.

Old 28-04-2007, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in
ink.net:

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and
harvest beans for your own brew.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Not even in a greenhouse? Oh well. I just reminded myself in the
dandelion post that the roots make a good coffee substitute(I've
actually tried it), and I know those can grow pretty much anywhere in
the continental US. :-)

Chickory root is supposed to be a good coffee substitute but I've never
tried it.
Old 28-04-2007, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:39:22 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in
link.net:

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and
harvest beans for your own brew.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Not even in a greenhouse? Oh well. I just reminded myself in the
dandelion post that the roots make a good coffee substitute(I've
actually tried it), and I know those can grow pretty much anywhere in
the continental US. :-)

Chickory root is supposed to be a good coffee substitute but I've never
tried it.

Not a substitute, an additive to make coffee go longer. After our
first time in New Orleans many years ago, we now exclusively drink
Cafe du Monde ground coffee with chickory. Talk about your thick
coffee! It tastes like it is much stronger than it actually is. I've
been looking all over for expresso to no avail. Maybe my mom can mail
us some from New York. Down here in the hinterlands they don't sell
expresso in the grocery.
Old 28-04-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Living close to the chickory capital of the world, I must say that
chickory is nasty, more bitter than coffee, the only reason it was
proclaimed a substitute to coffee is because people were absolutely
desperate for their coffee fix. But that is only my Not So Humble
Opinion....