Old 27-04-2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Coffee Plants

I just picked up a pot of coffee plants from Wal-Mart yesterday, they
were sitting in a plastic container 1/3 full with water. I took them out
to let the roots dry out and am going to replant each one in it's own
pot, there's 6. I'm not too familiar with growing them as a house plant,
any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 27-04-2007, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Is this like the coffee plants you bought?
http://gurneys.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_11295

I want to get some myself. 7 years in Seattle turned me into a caffiene
junkie. And hopefully sometime this year I'll be moving back if everything I
plan stops going to hell, but oh well...anyways, I sure hope someone has
experience with them, I always prefer growing my own if possible.

Old 27-04-2007, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
nk.net...
Is this like the coffee plants you bought?
http://gurneys.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_11295

I want to get some myself. 7 years in Seattle turned me into a
caffiene
junkie. And hopefully sometime this year I'll be moving back if
everything I
plan stops going to hell, but oh well...anyways, I sure hope someone
has
experience with them, I always prefer growing my own if possible.

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and harvest
beans for your own brew.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 27-04-2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and harvest
beans for your own brew.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Not even in a greenhouse? Oh well. I just reminded myself in the dandelion
post that the roots make a good coffee substitute(I've actually tried it),
and I know those can grow pretty much anywhere in the continental US. :-)

Old 27-04-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:19:32 +0000, Lilah Morgan wrote:

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and harvest
beans for your own brew.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Not even in a greenhouse? Oh well. I just reminded myself in the
dandelion post that the roots make a good coffee substitute(I've
actually tried it), and I know those can grow pretty much anywhere in
the continental US. :-)

I'm just growing them because I can, not to try and make my own coffee,
although that would be cool.

Old 28-04-2007, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in
ink.net:

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and
harvest beans for your own brew.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Not even in a greenhouse? Oh well. I just reminded myself in the
dandelion post that the roots make a good coffee substitute(I've
actually tried it), and I know those can grow pretty much anywhere in
the continental US. :-)

Chickory root is supposed to be a good coffee substitute but I've never
tried it.
Old 28-04-2007, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:39:22 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in
link.net:

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and
harvest beans for your own brew.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Not even in a greenhouse? Oh well. I just reminded myself in the
dandelion post that the roots make a good coffee substitute(I've
actually tried it), and I know those can grow pretty much anywhere in
the continental US. :-)

Chickory root is supposed to be a good coffee substitute but I've never
tried it.

Not a substitute, an additive to make coffee go longer. After our
first time in New Orleans many years ago, we now exclusively drink
Cafe du Monde ground coffee with chickory. Talk about your thick
coffee! It tastes like it is much stronger than it actually is. I've
been looking all over for expresso to no avail. Maybe my mom can mail
us some from New York. Down here in the hinterlands they don't sell
expresso in the grocery.
Old 28-04-2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:39:22 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in
hlink.net:

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and
harvest beans for your own brew.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Not even in a greenhouse? Oh well. I just reminded myself in the
dandelion post that the roots make a good coffee substitute(I've
actually tried it), and I know those can grow pretty much anywhere in
the continental US. :-)

Chickory root is supposed to be a good coffee substitute but I've never
tried it.

Not a substitute, an additive to make coffee go longer.

From THE NEW AGE HERBALIST:
"Roast chickory root can be drunk as a coffee substitute..."
Old 28-04-2007, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:

From THE NEW AGE HERBALIST:
"Roast chickory root can be drunk as a coffee substitute..."

It is one of those myths that gets repeated in every book ad nausiam.

Like second cuttings of rhubard are poisionous or horseradish harvested
in Spring will kill you.

But try it, you might like it... but I doubt it.

js

Old 28-04-2007, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jack Schmidling wrote in news:1335m1ghpe81153
@corp.supernews.com:

FragileWarrior wrote:

From THE NEW AGE HERBALIST:
"Roast chickory root can be drunk as a coffee substitute..."

It is one of those myths that gets repeated in every book ad nausiam.

What is?

Like second cuttings of rhubard are poisionous or horseradish harvested
in Spring will kill you.

But try it, you might like it... but I doubt it.

js

From WEEDS IN MY GARDEN:

"...When I was in New Orleans some years ago I found the beverage made from
[chickory root] to my liking, particularly as a change from ordinary
coffee. I have since learned that one brand of coffee with chicory as well
as pure chicory may be purchased locally. It makes an extremely dark
brew."

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1743...253205,00.html
DANDELION AND - OR CHICKORY "COFFEE"
Dig the roots. Scrub them thoroughly. Roast in slow (300 degree) oven until
brown all the way through...several hours. Grind. Brew into "coffee" type
drink just as you would brew true coffee.

http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/coffee.../a/chicory.htm
"... Many coffee producers offer blends with up to 30% chicory, which cuts
down on the caffeine content of your cup. But many folk enjoy a cup of
'coffee' made entirely from ground, roasted chicory."

Old 28-04-2007, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
Jack Schmidling wrote in news:1335m1ghpe81153
@corp.supernews.com:

FragileWarrior wrote:

From THE NEW AGE HERBALIST:
"Roast chickory root can be drunk as a coffee substitute..."

It is one of those myths that gets repeated in every book ad nausiam.

What is?

Like second cuttings of rhubard are poisionous or horseradish harvested
in Spring will kill you.

But try it, you might like it... but I doubt it.

js

From WEEDS IN MY GARDEN:

[...]

Chicory is normally used as an extender when processed with ground coffee.
I got many more google hits with the proper spelling myself as well.
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&h...s=&safe=images
--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins

Old 28-04-2007, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dave" wrote in
nk.net:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
Jack Schmidling wrote in news:1335m1ghpe81153
@corp.supernews.com:

FragileWarrior wrote:

From THE NEW AGE HERBALIST:
"Roast chickory root can be drunk as a coffee substitute..."

It is one of those myths that gets repeated in every book ad
nausiam.

What is?

Like second cuttings of rhubard are poisionous or horseradish
harvested in Spring will kill you.

But try it, you might like it... but I doubt it.

js

From WEEDS IN MY GARDEN:

[...]

Yes, yes, no one is debating that. They've been doing that as long as
there has been coffee, I think. The quote above mentions a 30% ratio
chicory:coffee. But it is also used to make a pure chicory coffee, too,
which I have been told was wrong and a myth. Apparently I wasn't wrong
nor is it a myth. In fact, there are many posts out there by people who
have had the coffee. Under either/both/all spellings.

[..]
Old 28-04-2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:37:38 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

From WEEDS IN MY GARDEN:

"...When I was in New Orleans some years ago I found the beverage made from
[chickory root] to my liking, particularly as a change from ordinary
coffee. I have since learned that one brand of coffee with chicory as well
as pure chicory may be purchased locally. It makes an extremely dark
brew."

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1743...253205,00.html
DANDELION AND - OR CHICKORY "COFFEE"
Dig the roots. Scrub them thoroughly. Roast in slow (300 degree) oven until
brown all the way through...several hours. Grind. Brew into "coffee" type
drink just as you would brew true coffee.

http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/coffee.../a/chicory.htm
"... Many coffee producers offer blends with up to 30% chicory, which cuts
down on the caffeine content of your cup. But many folk enjoy a cup of
'coffee' made entirely from ground, roasted chicory."

In the Internet, it must be so. In a magazine, must be so. Go buy
some and use it as coffee. Get back when you do.
Old 28-04-2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

And one more chicory coffee review that has a funny ending:

Guide Review - Roasted Chicory
Chicory is a natural and decaffeinated alternative to coffee that many
people say tastes 'the same'. I am going to put that to the test.

When roasted and ground, is it undistinguishable from roasted and ground
coffee. Looks the same, thought it doesn't smell the same. It has a
roasted aroma, but is also quite sweet smelling with almost a hint of
chocolate.

It brews up pretty much like regular coffee, though I found the resulting
beverage a little 'thicker' than coffee. Not really thick, but it had a
bit more body to it than regular coffee. Given the sweet smell of the
chicory grounds, I was completely shocked by the taste. Sour. I think it
was the most sour thing I've had in a mug. Healthy or not, it was just
nasty. I couldn't finish it.

My wife had a cup before I had a chance to tell her that it was actually
chiorcy. She didn't even notice. Granted, I suspect she gave her cup a
good dose of vanilla creamer and brown sugar, which would mask the taste
of just about anything. I no longer trust her judgement.

http://coffeetea.about.com/od/coffee...gr/chicory.htm
Old 28-04-2007, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:37:38 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

From WEEDS IN MY GARDEN:

[...]

I've listed herb books as well as sources from the internet. I've given
you the tools you need to go look at the sources yourself and read
articles written by people who have tried the coffee for themselves. What
more can I do to support a point I made?

I never said chicory coffee was good; I said that coffee can be made from
chicory. Please try to read for comprehension instead of immediately
flying off the handle and attacking an opinion or viewpoint that differs
from your's.