Old 28-04-2007, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Symphylans (Garden Centipede) experience?

Anybody have experience & srategies in dealing with symphylans, also
known as garden centipede? I first saw them in my garden on
strawberries which had touched the soil. When i lifted them the
undersides were eaten away and hanging from them were what looked like
tiny grey worms.

Over the next 2-3 years I've been seeing them in the soil when I
disturb it, and on bits of organic stuff I dig up. I blame them for an
increasing incidence of poor germination and stunted seedlings in the
garden.

The only strategy I've come up with so far is to try & raise big
sturdy seedlings in "safe" potting mix before setting out. This is a
nuisance on several coutns - space for one - and isn't possible with
all veggies.

The references I've found suggest (apart from some chemicals that I
don't want to use) rotational fallowing, planting "trap crops,"
compacting the soil around sown seed (!) and a few other unattractive
strategies. None are held out as being highly effective.

Anyone have (preferrably non-chemical) experience in dealing with
these pests?

[IMG] code is On

Small pale pink centipede Yuri United Kingdom 11 07-04-2009 06:59 PM
Symphylans: red? Ben Edible Gardening 0 21-06-2004 08:08 PM
Centipede [email protected] North Carolina 1 25-05-2004 05:12 AM
Centipede Invasion! Help! Anne Lurie North Carolina 4 20-06-2003 03:08 PM
Centipede seeded over Bermuda? Tom M Gardening 2 25-03-2003 04:56 PM