Old 30-04-2007, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Where are you all?

William Rose wrote:
In article ,
John McWilliams wrote:

William Rose wrote:

Just an hour away (three hours during commute),

N, S, E?

John,
Forestville, up by Santa Rosa, north of the "City". I hope your back is
from too much fun in the garden. Sometimes I can get rid of back
problems by lying on my back and then crunching up and pointing my elbow
at the opposite knee, 10 or 20 times. It twists your spine and puts
tracion on it at the same time. If you have a bad disk though, forget I
said anything. Whatcha growin'?

That's a nice area, I did some Refereeing up there just a few weeks ago,
and have toured the gardens in SR, and Chas. Schultz' home. I avoid the
vineyards, though!

I am pretty much pot bound. Err, I see how doubly ambiguous that is.
What I mean is, I currently rent, so everything except jade plants and
ivy, is in a pot or planter. No veggies, nothing bigger than a ficus at
six feet. I can't wait to get back into real soil, but maybe now is
not the time.

--

John

Remember to pillage *before* you burn.
Old 30-04-2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
John McWilliams wrote:

That's a nice area, I did some Refereeing up there just a few weeks ago,
and have toured the gardens in SR, and Chas. Schultz' home. I avoid the
vineyards, though!

I am pretty much pot bound. Err, I see how doubly ambiguous that is.
What I mean is, I currently rent, so everything except jade plants and
ivy, is in a pot or planter. No veggies, nothing bigger than a ficus at
six feet. I can't wait to get back into real soil, but maybe now is
not the time.

All of the Bay area is or, was, nice. But the traffic is way out of
control. River Road used to be a sleepy little thoroughfare now I need
to wait a couple of minutes for the traffic to clear so that I can get
on. I agree about the vineyards. They used to be mom and pop run affairs
and you could stop in, taste the wine and, have a bit of a chin wag with
the owners. These days the wine hasn't improved that much, they charge
you $5 minimum to taste some pretty ordinary wines or $20 to taste the
good stuff. And then your talking to some smily-faced youth that is
telling you that the nondescript wine in your glass has assertive
flavors of cassis, violets and, pomegranates and is full-bodied and,
robust and, practically a steal at $35/bottle. And then, no matter how
good your wine is, if Robert Parker doesn't give it 90 points, it is
difficult to sell. Me? I only go into wineries when they pay me to.

North of here, people are very pot bound. At $5,000/lb your not likely
to talk them out of the notion. The DEA must have a small army up in
Mendocino and Humbolt Counties. Buy pot, California's #1 agricultural
product and, keep California green. Between the pot, the abalone
poaching and, the mushroom poaching, the forest rangers up here need
roller skates to keep-up with what's going on.

E-mail me if you like.
- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
Old 02-05-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Leesburg, Alabama, zone 7

wrote in message
It would be useful, where follks are posting, if they indicated their
location & tyupe of climate.

I keep intending to do that in my siganture but haven't quite got
control of my newsreader yet. (Forte Agent - very versatile but a bit
complex in the options dept.)

Here goes another try.

Alexander Miller, Vancouver Island; Zone 7-8ish?
Soggy winters, baked dry summers.
Shallow topsoil, blue clay beneath.
Using mostly raised beds

Old 02-05-2007, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Depends on the weather for me...right now, I'd say I'm in Hell ;-) Or
Klamath county, Oregon. Zone 6 I believe?