Old 05-05-2007, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Update: Cotton Burr Compost *Does* Contain GM Material

In article , Charlie wrote:

Micro brew indeed! I mostly drink micro-brews, well, except for my
overwhelming fondness for Guinness. Here's the link for this
evening's brew.

http://www.boulevard.com/drystout.htm

Looks like the real deal. Ah Guinness, that reminds me.

It was after a brewmasters siminar in Dusseldorf and some of the
brewmasters went down for a drink. First in was the brewmaster from
Budweiser who asked for a Bud on draft. Next in was the brewmaster from
Labatt's who asked for a Labatt on draft. Then the brewmaster from
Lowenbrau ordered a Lowenbrau on draft. Finally, the brewmaster from
Guinness came in, took one look around and said to the barman, "Give me
a Coke". Stunned, the other brewmasters said,"Paddy, why are you
drinking a Coke"?

Looking grimly at them, Paddy said."If you fookin' pansies ain't gonna
drink beer, neither an I."
-------

A German friend had what I thought was the perfect description of an
English ale pub's brew. The bartender ask what he thought of it, to
which my friend replied,"I think your horse is sick."
--------
I couldn't find a Bitburger, which I really prefer with food but I did
find an Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout, perfect for sipping.
http://www.avbc.com/beers/stout.html

But I digress.

I'm here in Northern California, 'bout 70 mile north of San Francisco,
living in a wide spot in the road called Forestville, near Santa Rosa. I
started reading your posting and realized I know more about what's going
on in Japan than I do the Midwest. If you don't mind, e-mail me at the
above address, I've never even heard of Ventria.

The morning fish-wrap mentioned a website, http://www.foodnews.org/
which I'n sure the readers of this group will find edifying and which
will be of special interest to those who think home gardening is too
expensive for what we get. If nothing else it can help us make more
responsible purchases.

Last year was my first successful attempt at growing corn, we had a hot
summer. I'm hoping to duplicate my results with an earlier start and
improved soil. It's hard justifying the room and water that it takes so
I just have it in a couple of small plots that I shoe-horned in. I mix
the patch with melons and pole beans. Melons and corn, that's
conspicuous consumption.

I planted a wisteria over the gate into the yard, three years ago. This
year it bloomed forth in all its' splendor and, it is beautiful to
behold but, it is shading a small patch that I'm trying to get into
production. So here I am, dangling on my own petard.

Even using "Sluggo", I'm still having some predatation (it's a lot less
though) in the garden at night. Man, wandering around in the dead of
night, on terraces, with a flashlight doesn't make me a happy camper. I
think I'll try the slightly elevated board routine and see what's
underneath of it in the morning.

Keep ****in' and moanin', if the wheel don't squeak, it'll never get
fixed.

- Bill