Old 06-05-2007, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Update: Cotton Burr Compost *Does* Contain GM Material

In article , Charlie wrote:

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/to...o.html?from=wx
center_news

Jeez Charlie,
the local fish wrap (http://www.pressdemocrat.com/) didn't have anything
about anything in the "flyover". This is just so totally screwed. A mile
wide twister and nine dead and, we have drivel about an anachronistic
Queen and the sale of a replica of the Dukes of Hazards car in our A
section.

About nine companies own all the major newspapers in America. If you
expect anything more than the funnies you had better find a source of
information. I suggest any of the Pacifica stations e.g.
http://www.kpfa.org/
or watch Democracy Now http://www.democracynow.org/streampage.pl .

What else aren't they telling us?

Aren't we all Americans? I guess not. What a huge steaming pile of B.S.
this country has become.

- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly, but not this time)
Old 06-05-2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Sat, 05 May 2007 23:14:53 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/to...o.html?from=wx
center_news

Jeez Charlie,
the local fish wrap (http://www.pressdemocrat.com/) didn't have anything
about anything in the "flyover". This is just so totally screwed. A mile
wide twister and nine dead and, we have drivel about an anachronistic
Queen and the sale of a replica of the Dukes of Hazards car in our A
section.

The tornado was splashed across, well, page 4 of the SF Chronicle.
Page 1 was taken up with Cinco de Mayo news, the Warriors and
something about gays and lesbians.
Sue

Old 06-05-2007, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Speaking of mushrooms, does anyone know a good source to get started growing
them? I love them, as does my mother, and having to buy them in the store
all the time because they go bad too fast is annoying.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Checking them out now, thank you mulchly(I figured since there was a
gardening ng, mulchly would be better then muchly) :-)

Old 06-05-2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/to...nado.html?from
[...]

Charlie, Greenburg finally made the Sunday paper. What a horrible mess.
I presume the reconstruction money and, the National Guard are in Iraq
protecting us from terrorists. The article said that the tornado (wedge,
what ever it was) touched down at night. Do you know what time? It may
have been too late for the saturday edition of our fish wrap to carry.
Man, how long has this been going on? I thought tornadoes were those
cute little funnel clouds that carried you off to OZ but, a mile wide?
Jeez. Any idea what the wind velocity was was?

Sue, was the reporting in the S.F. Comical on saturday or sunday? Dang,
I forgot to get me some Dos XX for Cinco de Mayo. The guys at work made
me an honorary Mexican. I'm surprised that the Comical even mentioned
gays and lesbians, they're just so over done here in California. No news
value there.

Charlie, what would be a good newspaper to check in the Greenburg area,
or Kiowa County?

"An onion can make people cry, but there has never been a vegetable
invented to make them laugh."
Will Rogers

- Bill

Old 06-05-2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Sun, 06 May 2007 13:21:44 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

Sunday. I don't think it was in Saturday's out of town edition (which
is what I get) as the event may have taken place too late.
My, but we've zoomed waaaay off topic.
Sue

Old 07-05-2007, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Sue wrote:

Sue, was the reporting in the S.F. Comical on saturday or sunday?

Sunday. I don't think it was in Saturday's out of town edition (which
is what I get) as the event may have taken place too late.
My, but we've zoomed waaaay off topic.
Sue

Right as usual. Spent part of the afternoon turning and, blending in
some aged manure, in another part of the garden where I am planting
Degli Ortolani and, lemon cukes. Spading by hand. If it don't kill me,
it will make me stronger. Soil is looking pretty good except for the
spare rocks. I also got nine Dent corn, six asparagus pole beans, a
Sugar Baby (early ripening) watermelon and a Minnesota Midget Muskmelon
planted today, all germinated from seed. They join about twenty lettuce
plants, twelve bush beans, two dozen snow peas and, two German Striped
tomatoes. Another corn patch awaits me tomorrow where earlier ripening
varieties of corn will be planted with another Sugar Baby watermelon.
This is about a third of the garden. I still have a trellises to move
out of a shady part of the property and into the sun for a climbing zuke
(zuchetta sp?) and some birdhouse gourds. Repairing the drip irrigation
as I go.

The sun is out here. It is 4:30 PM, 89 F and the butterflies are
skipping around and, the birds are singing. Again I've see one bee
today. I'd call him/her a bumble bee because it was so puffy and fuzzy
with the classical yellow and black stripes. I'm a very lucky person,
when you consider all the misery out there in the Mid-West and the
Mid-East. Hopefully, they'll get their share soon.

How am I doing Sue?

- Bill
Old 07-05-2007, 07:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

See, see.... now you done got us in trouble, talkin' in class. ;-)

Chastised Charlie

My bad:O
- Bill
Old 08-05-2007, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Sun, 06 May 2007 16:42:01 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

In article ,
Sue wrote:

[...]

Excellent, Bill. Absolutely excellent. Wow, you have quite a
garden!!! I don't grow very much. Harvested my peas a few weeks ago
and have decided I will *never* grow them again. What a pain in the
butt. I have bush beans in - quite a few - that are just coming up.
Bell peppers, too. Tomatoes and zucchini and corn at my gentleman
friend's. My potatoes should be about ready to dig up.
I have very little space and really *bad* dirt. I pretty much stick
the stuff in the ground and hope for the best.
95 degrees right now at 6:15 PM. San Joaquin Valley.
I think we've done a good job of getting back on track!!
Sue

- Bill

Old 08-05-2007, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Sue wrote:

95 degrees right now at 6:15 PM.

6:15 PM? Lordy, lordy lordy, you tough girl.

- Bill