Old 07-05-2007, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is this a dandelion or what?

Uploaded picture on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens under the same
Subject.
New to me, appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Hal
Old 08-05-2007, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 7, 6:50 am, Hal wrote:
Uploaded picture on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens under the same
Subject.
New to me, appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Hal

Can't see your pictures!

You can see several pictures of dandelions and many other weeds at
ergonica.com.

----
At peace with weeds!

Old 08-05-2007, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

raycruzer wrote in news:1178640316.474566.39680
@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

On May 7, 6:50 am, Hal wrote:
Uploaded picture on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens under the same
Subject.
New to me, appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Hal

Can't see your pictures!

You can see several pictures of dandelions and many other weeds at
ergonica.com.

----
At peace with weeds!

I can't get that newsgroup but I wondered if it was one of those
dandelions with multiple heads that I find around here sometimes. No one
ever believes me about them.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

I can't get that newsgroup but I wondered if it was one of those
dandelions with multiple heads that I find around here sometimes. No one
ever believes me about them.

There is a plant that many people call a dandelion but it has the common
name of 'flatweed' or 'catsear' - Hypochoeris radicata. It has dandelion
like leaves, dandelion like flowers but multiple stems on whcih it flowers.
http://web.mit.edu/cfox/www/flowers/...ed.jpg.10.html

Old 09-05-2007, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in
:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

I can't get that newsgroup but I wondered if it was one of those
dandelions with multiple heads that I find around here sometimes. No
one ever believes me about them.

There is a plant that many people call a dandelion but it has the
common name of 'flatweed' or 'catsear' - Hypochoeris radicata. It has
dandelion like leaves, dandelion like flowers but multiple stems on
whcih it flowers.
http://web.mit.edu/cfox/www/flowers/...eris-radicata_
Med.jpg.10.html

No, we went through this last time I mentioned them. This is a dandelion
that has mulitple heads like a co-joined human twin does. Not a lot of
heads on different stems but a mishapen mass of heads on one stem. The
stems are wider, too, to match the number of heads. They are Dandelions.
For some reason, in the area where this occured, there sometimes would
pop up other twins -- a Zinnia, for example. And once I found a Black-
eyed Susan with a twin head, too. The Dandelions, however, often had
many, many joined heads. In other flowers, I only ever found twins.
(And this wasn't a nuclear dump site -- it had been a farm as long as
anyone can remember.)

Old 09-05-2007, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , FragileWarrior
writes
[...]

That description matches fasciated dandelions. They're not particularly
rare.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-05-2007, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in
"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

I can't get that newsgroup but I wondered if it was one of those
dandelions with multiple heads that I find around here sometimes. No
one ever believes me about them.

There is a plant that many people call a dandelion but it has the
common name of 'flatweed' or 'catsear' - Hypochoeris radicata. It has
dandelion like leaves, dandelion like flowers but multiple stems on
whcih it flowers.
http://web.mit.edu/cfox/www/flowers/...eris-radicata_
Med.jpg.10.html

No, we went through this last time I mentioned them.

Sorry, don't recall being aprt of that discussion.

This is a dandelion
that has mulitple heads like a co-joined human twin does. Not a lot of
heads on different stems but a mishapen mass of heads on one stem. The
stems are wider, too, to match the number of heads. They are Dandelions.

What you are describing sounds like what is known as fasciation.

It can be caused by both herbicide use and from bacterial causes. I've only
ever once seen it in my childhood on one stem on a Euonymous. IIRC, one of
the ingredients used in Agent Orange in particular used to do this. Does it
look like the following?:
http://davesgarden.com/terms/go/1866/

For some reason, in the area where this occured, there sometimes would
pop up other twins -- a Zinnia, for example. And once I found a Black-
eyed Susan with a twin head, too. The Dandelions, however, often had
many, many joined heads. In other flowers, I only ever found twins.
(And this wasn't a nuclear dump site -- it had been a farm as long as
anyone can remember.)

Well a farm where there were a lot of herbicides sprayed around with gay
abandon, or where the neighbours did so, would be a likely place too find
herbicide induced fasciation.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote in
news
In message , FragileWarrior
writes

http://web.mit.edu/cfox/www/flowers/...1_hypochoeris-

radicata_
Med.jpg.10.html

No, we went through this last time I mentioned them. This is a

dandelion
that has mulitple heads like a co-joined human twin does. Not a lot of
heads on different stems but a mishapen mass of heads on one stem. The
stems are wider, too, to match the number of heads. They are

Dandelions.

That description matches fasciated dandelions. They're not particularly
rare.

Maybe not but I must be the only one who sees them since no one ever
knows what I'm talking about and insists I'm seeing something else.

Seriously though, I think that that name was mentioned before. I just
forgot it. Duh. When it is other flowers does the name "facinated"
still apply?
Old 09-05-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in
:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in
"FragileWarrior" wrote in
message

http://web.mit.edu/cfox/www/flowers/...hoeris-radicat
a_ Med.jpg.10.html

No, we went through this last time I mentioned them.

Sorry, don't recall being aprt of that discussion.

Sorry, didn't mean you in particular, I meant on this ng.

This is a dandelion
that has mulitple heads like a co-joined human twin does. Not a lot
of heads on different stems but a mishapen mass of heads on one stem.
The stems are wider, too, to match the number of heads. They are
Dandelions.

What you are describing sounds like what is known as fasciation.

It can be caused by both herbicide use and from bacterial causes.
I've only ever once seen it in my childhood on one stem on a
Euonymous. IIRC, one of the ingredients used in Agent Orange in
particular used to do this. Does it look like the following?:
http://davesgarden.com/terms/go/1866/

Yes, but more so. I counted 13 heads on one Dandelion once. The stem
was an inch across. The other flowers looked like those, though.

For some reason, in the area where this occured, there sometimes
would pop up other twins -- a Zinnia, for example. And once I found
a Black- eyed Susan with a twin head, too. The Dandelions, however,
often had many, many joined heads. In other flowers, I only ever
found twins. (And this wasn't a nuclear dump site -- it had been a
farm as long as anyone can remember.)

Well a farm where there were a lot of herbicides sprayed around with
gay abandon, or where the neighbours did so, would be a likely place
too find herbicide induced fasciation.

It's possible but I know these farmers and I've never seem them doing
anything unusual in the herbicide area but, hey, you never know.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , FragileWarrior
writes
[...]

Yes. Do a google image search for fasciated dandelion and fasciated
specimens of several other species turn up.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 09-05-2007, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote in
:

Yes. Do a google image search for fasciated dandelion and fasciated
specimens of several other species turn up.
--

Hey, the first blog I hit had a really good photo of the type of Dandelion
I've seen -- even had the superwide stem!

http://briande.spaces.live.com/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c01
_blogpart=blogmgmt&_c=blogpart

Here's a good explanation, too:
What causes fasciation? According to Wikipedia:

"Fasciation (also: cresting) can be caused by a mutation in the
meristematic cells, bacterial infection, mite or insect attack, or chemical
or mechanical damage. Some plants may inherit the trait."

The fact that it might be inherited explains why there could be a great
deal of them in one location.

One thing I did note about those wide stems is they often split lengthwise.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

FragileWarrior expounded:

http://briande.spaces.live.com/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c01
_blogpart=blogmgmt&_c=blogpart

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 10-05-2007, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

FragileWarrior expounded:

Hey, the first blog I hit had a really good photo of the type of Dandelion
I've seen -- even had the superwide stem!

http://briande.spaces.live.com/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c01
_blogpart=blogmgmt&_c=blogpart

Here's a good explanation, too:
What causes fasciation? According to Wikipedia:

"Fasciation (also: cresting) can be caused by a mutation in the
meristematic cells, bacterial infection, mite or insect attack, or chemical
or mechanical damage. Some plants may inherit the trait."

The fact that it might be inherited explains why there could be a great
deal of them in one location.

One thing I did note about those wide stems is they often split lengthwise.

Sorry about the first one, hit the send button too soon.

I have had several fasciated foxgloves over the years, really strange
looking with a very wide, flattened flower stalk and all these little
flowers on either side. I'll have to take a picture next time it
happens.