Old 24-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Lattés

Default growing dandelion

Hey all, ok I know this sounds a bit insane to some of you but dandelion is
VERY tasty and I was wondering if anyone here had ever tried growing it?

Old 24-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Jan Flora

In article ogers.com,
"Lattés" wrote:

Hey all, ok I know this sounds a bit insane to some of you but dandelion is
VERY tasty and I was wondering if anyone here had ever tried growing it?

We don't *try* to grow it. We have 200 acres in hayfields that have volunteer
dandelions on them. The neighbors come over to pick the blooms, to make wine.
Our horses and cattle seems to like the greens, when they're young.

Jan
Old 24-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Pat Meadows

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:59:07 GMT, "Lattés"
wrote:

Hey all, ok I know this sounds a bit insane to some of you but dandelion is
VERY tasty and I was wondering if anyone here had ever tried growing it?

We don't need to *try*: dandelions just happen here.

Pat
Old 24-07-2003, 02:32 PM
WCD

Dandelions are rampant "weeds" in a lot of the US. I think I read
somewhere they were actually introduced into this country (probably from
Europe) because people liked to eat the greens.

The greens are very good, but its pretty hard to imagine the US without
dandelions.

Old 24-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Lattés

The neighbors come over to pick the blooms, to make wine.

The only time I have ever had dandelion wine it was pretty good, although
the only people have have ever fed it to me are hippies out of the side of
Vdub campers

Old 24-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Lynn Smythe

I grow dandelion in my garden. I didn't have any growing as weeds in my
neighborhood so I bought seeds online (either Johnnys or Park Seeds I
think). I also have chicory and Italian (red stemmed) dandelion growing in
my garden too. The leaves are all a bit bitter so I don't add too many to my
salads. I feed a lot of the leaves to my daughters guinea pig - he loves
them. The dandelion and chicory also produce edible flowers.

Take care,
Lynn Smythe
e-mail:
website:
http://users.adelphia.net/~lynnsmythe

le.rogers.com...

Old 24-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Thomas Dzubin

"Lattes" wrote:
Hey all, ok I know this sounds a bit insane to some of you but dandelion is
VERY tasty and I was wondering if anyone here had ever tried growing it?

I've never PURPOSEFULLY grown dandelions, but I have used both the leaves
and flowers in various meals, so I do know what you are talking about.
(one of these days, I'll dig one or two up and roast or pan-fry the roots)
The early dandelion leaves are very good and typically, dandelions
are the first "green" things that I see growing after the snow melts in
the spring...even earlier than spring lettuce...so dandelions could be
considered a significant part of the yearly cycle of food from "mother
earth"

Several things to consider:
- In your locale, it may actually be against the law to grow
dandelions on purpose. Some cities and towns have lists of
"noxious" weeds and sometimes the dandelion might be on these lists.

- if it is legal, then make sure you harvest the dandelions BEFORE
they go to seed. The fluffy seeds are so light that they will probably
float into your neighbour's yard if you are growing outside and if you
are growing dandelions inside, the seeds will probably end up on your
favorite sweater in your closet and will be a real pain in the butt to
remove. (Your neighbour may not be as fond of dandelions as you are!)

- I think dandelions are supposed to be biennial (I'm not 100% sure
on this), so you may only get two years worth of food out of one
planting. (Unless you let them go to seed, but in my previous point I
suggested that was a BAD idea :-)
You may be able to get more by chopping the roots into several pieces
after the year's harvest and replanting the pieces.

- I find that by mid-June (in Canada), the leaves are getting too bitter
to eat...but of course, by that time spinach & sorrel are available in
the garden for salad greens anyway, so after mid-June, I just switch
plants for my salad source. So the only really good harvest month might
be May.

Thomas Dz.

Old 24-07-2003, 11:04 PM
simy1

"Lattés" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
Hey all, ok I know this sounds a bit insane to some of you but dandelion is
VERY tasty and I was wondering if anyone here had ever tried growing it?

The "dandelions" that you can buy are usually members of the chicory
family (that means, amongst other things, that they have the blue
flowers on a spike that you see at roadside these days). Their leaves
look and taste like dandelions, but are much bigger. It is one of the
easiest crops to grow. Try Territorial Seeds, they have some.
Old 26-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Bunny

"Lattés" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
Hey all, ok I know this sounds a bit insane to some of you but dandelion is
VERY tasty and I was wondering if anyone here had ever tried growing it?

According to this site:
http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible3.html#Dandelion

There is actually a cultivated variety of dandelion, called 'Thick-Leaved'
Old 28-07-2003, 06:12 AM
Dianna Visek

Dandelions are perennial, not biennial.

Regards, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.