Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Aloe question

I have an Aloe Vera that I bought at Home Depot last year and it's doing
quite well, and in my searches online for more info, there was something
about using the offshoots to plant more aloe, but never found a more
detailed description about what offshoots are. Are they like runners for
strawberry/mint, or something else?

Old 07-05-2007, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 07 May 2007 18:45:53 GMT, "Lilah Morgan"
wrote:

I have an Aloe Vera that I bought at Home Depot last year and it's doing
quite well, and in my searches online for more info, there was something
about using the offshoots to plant more aloe, but never found a more
detailed description about what offshoots are. Are they like runners for
strawberry/mint, or something else?

They grow out from the side. Can be carefully separated and
replanted.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ok. Here is a picture of my aloe(though the raspberry wants some camera time
too): www.roachsrealm.com/locus/dsc_027.jpg Would the two on the very
bottom going straight out be offshoots? And thank you.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have an Aloe Vera that I bought at Home Depot last year and it's doing
quite well, and in my searches online for more info, there was something
about using the offshoots to plant more aloe, but never found a more
detailed description about what offshoots are. Are they like runners for
strawberry/mint, or something else?

The offshoots look like smaller versions of the mother plant. When they're a
nice size, about 1/4 the size of the original plant and have some of their
own roots you can remove them. Keep them in barely damp sandy soil until
well rooted.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Gloria" wrote in message
. net...
Yours doesn't have any off shoots yet. When it does, they can fill that

pot
your Aloe is in. I have potted many, many new Aloe's from my one main

plant.

Gloria

Ok thank you(and everyone else who answered). I got aloe to use for mainly
sunburns when needed, and I know it has moisturizing properties, but I never
knew how good they were til I put some on my cracked heel a few weeks back
before I went to bed, and usually it takes days at best and weeks at worst
for regular moisturizer to fix it, but when I woke up the next morning, it
was fine. So it's good to know that I will get lots more aloe plants. And
the best thing, it doesn't matter if I forget to water it. I have started
keeping track of when I do water it though, so I don't drown Vera(yeah I
know I should have chosen a more unique name, but I'm lazy). About how long
does it take for offshoots to start growing?

[IMG] code is On

Aloe question Ron in Radio Heaven Gardening 0 14-05-2007 02:43 AM
Aloe for Dummies: Top Heavy Aloe [email protected] Gardening 2 29-04-2006 01:58 AM
Follow up to Aloe vera rooting and growing question - here's more info Laura at theGardenPages Gardening 1 12-03-2006 08:24 AM
Aloe Vera Plants jammer Plant Biology 13 13-11-2005 09:07 PM
Aloe vera - too soon to put outside? kate Gardening 17 25-03-2003 02:32 PM