Old 20-05-2007, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hedge with white flowers?

Hi: I'm trying to find a hedge that my grandmother had in Oklahoma.
It's about 4-5 feet tall, and is full of little white flowers. I've
been searching for it in seed catalogs but haven't found anything that
I think might be it. Was it baby's breath or bridal wreath? I'm not
sure. Any help appreciated --

Old 20-05-2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

texas_gardener wrote:
Hi: I'm trying to find a hedge that my grandmother had in Oklahoma.
It's about 4-5 feet tall, and is full of little white flowers. I've
been searching for it in seed catalogs but haven't found anything that
I think might be it. Was it baby's breath or bridal wreath? I'm not
sure. Any help appreciated --

maybe Privet (ligustrum)?
http://www.barronmind.com/privetblm52906.jpg

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 20-05-2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message .com,
texas_gardener writes
Hi: I'm trying to find a hedge that my grandmother had in Oklahoma.
It's about 4-5 feet tall, and is full of little white flowers. I've
been searching for it in seed catalogs but haven't found anything that
I think might be it. Was it baby's breath or bridal wreath? I'm not
sure. Any help appreciated --

Baby's Breath is (at least some of the time) Gypsophila. I don't think
you could grow a hedge from that. Bridal Wreath often applies to Spiraea
and particularly to Spiraea x arguta. You can treat that as a hedge, but
if you want the lots of little white flowers it would have to be an
informal hedge; if you clip it formally you'll lose most of the flowers.

There are other hedging plants with white flowers, such as privet,
blackthorn or hawthorn. Quite likely you wouldn't consider the flowers
of blackthorn or hawthorn to be little. It's perhaps not so clear cut
with privet as with Spiraea x arguta, but for flowers privet is also
best treated as an informal hedge.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-05-2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 20, 12:31 pm, Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
maybe Privet (ligustrum)?http://www.barronmind.com/privetblm52906.jpg

Maybe...that's certainly beautiful (and a good choice perhaps,
anyway). I think the leaves were smaller, though -- tiny little
leaves...

Old 20-05-2007, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

I did a search on "hedge white flowers" and got:

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/po...s_carnosus.php

But the leaves are not right.

The photo of the privet hedge he
http://springhillnursery.com/product.asp?pn=66517

This is not what I remember, but is too dense. I think there were
long stems. I don't know. This may be a hopeless quest over a memory
that is not too well recalled.

Old 20-05-2007, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message .com,
texas_gardener writes
I did a search on "hedge white flowers" and got:

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/po...s_carnosus.php

But the leaves are not right.

There are other species of Euonymus.

The photo of the privet hedge he
http://springhillnursery.com/product.asp?pn=66517

This is not what I remember, but is too dense. I think there were
long stems. I don't know. This may be a hopeless quest over a memory
that is not too well recalled.

That's a very carefully trimmed formal privet hedge; most privet hedges
aren't so dense, and it can be grown as in informal hedge.

However I suggest that you look for images of Spiraea x arguta, which is
(a plant known as) Bridal Wreath, and which does have small white
flowers, and small leaves, and can be grown as a hedge (my father has it
as a clipped hedge, at the expense of the flowers, but clipping once a
year after flowering might be a workable regime).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-05-2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 20, 3:17 pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
I suggest that you look for images of Spiraea x arguta, which is
(a plant known as) Bridal Wreath, and which does have small white
flowers, and small leaves, and can be grown as a hedge (my father has it
as a clipped hedge, at the expense of the flowers, but clipping once a
year after flowering might be a workable regime).

It very well might be privet then. On the other hand, I searched on
Spiraea x arguta and did find photos that looked promising:

http://www.diplomlandespfleger.de/en...eaxarguta.html *does*
look like what my grandmother had, and I believe it may be it.

Old 20-05-2007, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Stewart, I believe you're right. The Bridal's Wreath Spiraea here is
what I believe it is:

http://www.s-weeds.net/familjer/rosa...e/sarguta.html
(scroll down)

And now I remember my mother calling it by both Bridal's Wreath and
Spiraea.

Thanks so much!!

Old 20-05-2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Here it is for purchase (I think):

http://tinyurl.com/2wa943

Old 20-05-2007, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message .com,
texas_gardener writes
Here it is for purchase (I think):

http://tinyurl.com/2wa943

That's a different species of Spiraea. From the picture at the URL it
looks as if it has larger leaves, and a different habit. In particular
the flowers are clustered differently. See

http://www.djroger.com/snowstorm.htm

for a more informative photograph.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 20-05-2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 20, 4:47 pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
That's a different species of Spiraea.

You're right; I found a photograph of what I'm looking for:
http://www.diplomlandespfleger.de/en...eaxarguta.html

But I'm looking for a place to purchase, and so far have not found
this exact species.

Old 20-05-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Here it is, found by searching under "Spiraea x arguta catalog":

http://www.forestfarm.com/search/clo...lantID=spar030

Old 21-05-2007, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

That's a different species of Spiraea.

You're right; I found a photograph of what I'm looking for:
http://www.diplomlandespfleger.de/en...eaxarguta.html

But I'm looking for a place to purchase, and so far have not found
this exact species.

4 pages of different cultivars/species here;

http://tinyurl.com/2q795b

fyi

Carl

--