GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Someone do a rain dance, please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/158941-someone-do-rain-dance-please.html)

FragileWarrior 22-05-2007 12:29 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

We haven't had any appreciable amount of rain this month. My seedlings are
this - | - high and staying there. The ground is so hard I have to use a
pickaxe to transplant stuff. I'm watching the forecasts but the promised
weekend rain looks to be getting less and less likely. Someone do a rain
dance or tell me how to do one. I'm thinking that our Black Spring is
going to be followed by a Toasty Brown Summer.

Cheryl Isaak 22-05-2007 01:57 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

On 5/22/07 7:29 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

We haven't had any appreciable amount of rain this month. My seedlings are
this - | - high and staying there. The ground is so hard I have to use a
pickaxe to transplant stuff. I'm watching the forecasts but the promised
weekend rain looks to be getting less and less likely. Someone do a rain
dance or tell me how to do one. I'm thinking that our Black Spring is
going to be followed by a Toasty Brown Summer.

Come here - I nearly drowned this past weekend. I got to camp in the rain
with my daughter's Brownie troop.

Cheryl

FragileWarrior 22-05-2007 02:07 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/22/07 7:29 AM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

We haven't had any appreciable amount of rain this month. My
seedlings are this - | - high and staying there. The ground is so
hard I have to use a pickaxe to transplant stuff. I'm watching the
forecasts but the promised weekend rain looks to be getting less and
less likely. Someone do a rain dance or tell me how to do one. I'm
thinking that our Black Spring is going to be followed by a Toasty
Brown Summer.

Come here - I nearly drowned this past weekend. I got to camp in the
rain with my daughter's Brownie troop.

Cheryl

Where are you? I'm in central Indiana and this has been the quietest
spring in the five years I've been here. (Translation: we've only heard
the tornado sirens once.) I wish this house still had its well set-up
because I'm sure not watering anything at the prices of water in this
town. Send the rain to me. Do your Send The Rain Thataway rain dance,
please.

Cheryl Isaak 22-05-2007 02:22 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

On 5/22/07 9:07 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/22/07 7:29 AM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

[...]

I'm in New Hampshire and this is the second spring with major flooding.
Will dance tonight and send it your way for the weekend.

Bill Rose 22-05-2007 04:27 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

The ground is so hard I have to use a
pickaxe to transplant stuff.

Frag, you are mulching aren't you?
- Bill

Manelli Family[_2_] 22-05-2007 04:56 PM

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
We haven't had any appreciable amount of rain this month. My seedlings
are
this - | - high and staying there. The ground is so hard I have to use
pickaxe to transplant stuff. I'm watching the forecasts but the promised
weekend rain looks to be getting less and less likely. Someone do a rain
dance or tell me how to do one. I'm thinking that our Black Spring is
going to be followed by a Toasty Brown Summer.

All we've had here are 2" in the past 8 weeks. I was forced to water the
flowers and vegetables again yesterday.

Buderschnookie[_2_] 22-05-2007 05:27 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
We haven't had any appreciable amount of rain this month. My seedlings
are
this - | - high and staying there. The ground is so hard I have to use
pickaxe to transplant stuff. I'm watching the forecasts but the promised
weekend rain looks to be getting less and less likely. Someone do a rain
dance or tell me how to do one. I'm thinking that our Black Spring is
going to be followed by a Toasty Brown Summer.

Dig a small hole in the shape of a turtle.
Spit in it.
Cover it back up.
Really.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com

Ann 22-05-2007 06:13 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

On 5/22/07 7:29 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

We haven't had any appreciable amount of rain this month. My seedlings are
this - | - high and staying there. The ground is so hard I have to use a
pickaxe to transplant stuff. I'm watching the forecasts but the promised
weekend rain looks to be getting less and less likely. Someone do a rain
dance or tell me how to do one. I'm thinking that our Black Spring is
going to be followed by a Toasty Brown Summer.

Come here - I nearly drowned this past weekend. I got to camp in the rain
with my daughter's Brownie troop.

Cheryl

We went through a 24 day stretch end of April to mid May with no rain
(Cheryl, you got it all, I think!), last week through the weekend we
got drowned. I do wish it could be a bit more even. Rain twice a
week, 1/2" or so, starting at midnight and ending around 4 am would be
nice!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

KarenCannoli 22-05-2007 06:39 PM

"Buderschnookie" wrote in message

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
We haven't had any appreciable amount of rain this month. My seedlings are
this - | - high and staying there. The ground is so hard I have to use a
pickaxe to transplant stuff. I'm watching the forecasts but the promised
weekend rain looks to be getting less and less likely. Someone do a rain
dance or tell me how to do one. I'm thinking that our Black Spring is
going to be followed by a Toasty Brown Summer.

Dig a small hole in the shape of a turtle.
Spit in it.
Cover it back up.
Really.

No...just have your car detailed. Rain will appear very soon.
Care Wren

Cheryl Isaak 22-05-2007 07:36 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

On 5/22/07 1:13 PM, in article ,
"Ann" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

On 5/22/07 7:29 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

We haven't had any appreciable amount of rain this month. My seedlings are
this - | - high and staying there. The ground is so hard I have to use a
pickaxe to transplant stuff. I'm watching the forecasts but the promised
weekend rain looks to be getting less and less likely. Someone do a rain
dance or tell me how to do one. I'm thinking that our Black Spring is
going to be followed by a Toasty Brown Summer.

Come here - I nearly drowned this past weekend. I got to camp in the rain
with my daughter's Brownie troop.

Cheryl

We went through a 24 day stretch end of April to mid May with no rain
(Cheryl, you got it all, I think!), last week through the weekend we
got drowned. I do wish it could be a bit more even. Rain twice a
week, 1/2" or so, starting at midnight and ending around 4 am would be
nice!

Oh ya - flood watches, floods, water in the basement and unending rain the
entire weekend....

FragileWarrior 22-05-2007 08:14 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

Bill Rose wrote in news:rosefam-749062.08273522052007
@cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au:

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

The ground is so hard I have to use a
pickaxe to transplant stuff.

Frag, you are mulching aren't you?
- Bill

Nope. I'm afraid of smothering the seedlings. There is some mulch from
last year but I was waiting for a little more height on the new plants to
mulch this year.

FragileWarrior 22-05-2007 08:15 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

Ann wrote in
:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

On 5/22/07 7:29 AM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

[...]

And if the rain could do some weeding while it was here... well, that'd
just be heaven on Earth. :)

FragileWarrior 22-05-2007 08:16 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/22/07 9:07 AM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/22/07 7:29 AM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

[...]

The people in Indy won't like that but I don't care. I hate that race
car stuff.

Bill Rose 22-05-2007 09:35 PM

"Buderschnookie" wrote:

Dig a small hole in the shape of a turtle.
Spit in it.
Cover it back up.

Has something happened in this newsgroup when I wasn't looking?

- Bill

Bill Rose 22-05-2007 09:57 PM

FragileWarrior wrote:

The ground is so hard I have to use a
pickaxe to transplant stuff.

Frag, you are mulching aren't you?
- Bill

Nope. I'm afraid of smothering the seedlings. There is some mulch from
last year but I was waiting for a little more height on the new plants to
mulch this year.

I meant during the Winter and early Spring. I probably don't need to
tell you, that mulch holds in the moisture and encourages the worms to
do your tilling, leaving your soil all soft and fluffy (sort of). I'm
learning this all too slowly but, it even slowed down my previously
raging gastropods (painful they were too). Take care of your mulch and
your mulch will take care of you;-)

- Bill

jangchub 22-05-2007 10:56 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

On Tue, 22 May 2007 19:14:41 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

Nope. I'm afraid of smothering the seedlings. There is some mulch from
last year but I was waiting for a little more height on the new plants to
mulch this year.

Actually, your seedlings will do MUCH better if you put a layer of
mulch down. Ruth Stout, an ancient organic gardener used to put a
foot of alfalfa hay in her vegetable garden and make enough room (like
a mulch tunnel) to transplant the seedlings. They reach for the sun,
don't scald at the roots and are infinitely healthier than if you
don't mulch. Just an idea.

jangchub 22-05-2007 10:59 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

On Tue, 22 May 2007 19:16:42 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

The people in Indy won't like that but I don't care. I hate that race
car stuff.

....and we'll be rooting for Michael Andretti or Al Unser Jr. to win.
My husband takes the whole week off every year in case it is rained
out on Sunday and Monday. Nascar is what we don't like, but open
wheel is very exciting. Try going to a race, you may like it. Then
again...

Persephone 23-05-2007 01:43 AM

Someone do a rain dance, please

wrote:

Nope. I'm afraid of smothering the seedlings. There is some mulch from
last year but I was waiting for a little more height on the new plants to
mulch this year.

Actually, your seedlings will do MUCH better if you put a layer of
mulch down. Ruth Stout, an ancient organic gardener used to put a
foot of alfalfa hay in her vegetable garden and make enough room (like
a mulch tunnel) to transplant the seedlings. They reach for the sun,
don't scald at the roots and are infinitely healthier than if you
don't mulch. Just an idea.

Anybody remember how Ruth Stout used to plant tomatoes?

She said -- I think this was in the old Organic Gardening -- that she
put ripe tomatoes on the ground and stepped on them.That was IT.

Persephone

jangchub 23-05-2007 03:03 AM

On Tue, 22 May 2007 17:43:15 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Anybody remember how Ruth Stout used to plant tomatoes?

She said -- I think this was in the old Organic Gardening -- that she
put ripe tomatoes on the ground and stepped on them.That was IT.

Persephone

I have a few of her books I found at antique shops. I'll take a look
to see if she has an index for planting tomatoes. She is famous for
the "no till, no work gardening" plan. She was very successful.

FragileWarrior 26-05-2007 10:15 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

"Buderschnookie" wrote in
:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
We haven't had any appreciable amount of rain this month. My
seedlings are
this - | - high and staying there. The ground is so hard I have to
use a
pickaxe to transplant stuff. I'm watching the forecasts but the
promised weekend rain looks to be getting less and less likely.
Someone do a rain dance or tell me how to do one. I'm thinking that
our Black Spring is going to be followed by a Toasty Brown Summer.

Dig a small hole in the shape of a turtle.
Spit in it.
Cover it back up.
Really.

I'll be danged... it worked. :)

Johnny 26-05-2007 11:44 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

On May 22, 7:29 am, FragileWarrior
wrote:
We haven't had any appreciable amount of rain this month. My seedlings are
this - | - high and staying there. The ground is so hard I have to use a
pickaxe to transplant stuff. I'm watching the forecasts but the promised
weekend rain looks to be getting less and less likely. Someone do a rain
dance or tell me how to do one. I'm thinking that our Black Spring is
going to be followed by a Toasty Brown Summer.

Georgia is in the forth year of a severe drought and as a result
watering restrictions have been put into place. There is one aspect of
the rules that few people are aware of. According to the Atlanta
Constitution, under the statewide rules, new landscaping installed by
a professional may be watered daily for 30 days after installation,
and food gardens can be watered any time. It is possible that other
states may have similar rules.:

www-raised-garden-bed.com/

Johnny

Buderschnookie[_2_] 27-05-2007 01:13 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message

I'll be danged... it worked. :)

Thousands of Haitians can't be wrong :)

--
Toni
now in 6b Kentucky

FragileWarrior 27-05-2007 01:39 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
6.121:

Pambo forced FragileWarrior to
post this at: rec.gardens:

We haven't had any appreciable amount of rain this month. My
seedlings are this - | - high and staying there. The ground is so
hard I have to use a pickaxe to transplant stuff. I'm watching the
forecasts but the promised weekend rain looks to be getting less and
less likely. Someone do a rain dance or tell me how to do one. I'm
thinking that our Black Spring is going to be followed by a Toasty
Brown Summer.

It's raining here. It started yesterday and should continue today.
It been a nice slow drizzle so I couldn't be happier. Black Spring
really sucked. Some things are not going to bloom this year and
everything is about 2 weeks off it's regular schedule. OTOH, the
Japanese maple has made it okay and almost everything has bounced
back, except the blooms. I had one, count it, one peony blossom this
year. Jury is still out on the magnolia tree.

Michael

It's raining just enough now that artifact hunting means 20# of good
Indian clay hanging off each boot. I'm going to have thighs like Wyle
Coyote after a mega-dose of Acme vitamins.

FragileWarrior 27-05-2007 02:05 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
6.121:

Pambo forced FragileWarrior to
post this at: rec.gardens:

It's raining just enough now that artifact hunting means 20# of good
Indian clay hanging off each boot. I'm going to have thighs like
Wyle Coyote after a mega-dose of Acme vitamins.

I'm going to take Jonsey out for some exercise later on this morning.
Then I have to shop for an afternoon BBQ I'm throwing tomorrow.
Jonsey gets real skittish in the indoor arena so I'm hoping to take
him outside later on. I can't imagine what I'll look like browsing
the farmer's market and supermarkets after horseback riding outside.
I'm not going to have time to shower and change.

Michael

You'll probably get hit on by EVERYONE there. :)

I've only been on D'argo once so far this year and, man, when I first
saddled up I suddenly realize that I a LONG way up in the air. Holy
shit.

Someone stopped by this week and asked if he was for sale. I ran him off
with a shotgun. hee

FragileWarrior 28-05-2007 07:34 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in
:

find a snake, kill it, hang it up in a tree, it should rain within two
days

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
We haven't had any appreciable amount of rain this month. My
seedlings are
this - | - high and staying there. The ground is so hard I have to
use a
pickaxe to transplant stuff. I'm watching the forecasts but the
promised weekend rain looks to be getting less and less likely.
Someone do a rain dance or tell me how to do one. I'm thinking that
our Black Spring is going to be followed by a Toasty Brown Summer.

Ah, I can't kill a snake. Don't worry, the turtle/spit thingy worked. In
fact, I may have to go back and get my spit back because it's not supposed
to stop for a week. :)

Rachael Simpson 28-05-2007 07:43 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

the snake thing is an "ole' wives" tale around here. 50-50 chance of that
actually working anyway. haven't seen any snakes here lately. too dry for
even them i guess. told my husband to try the spit thing. need rain badly
here too.

FragileWarrior 28-05-2007 08:10 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in
:

the snake thing is an "ole' wives" tale around here. 50-50 chance of
that actually working anyway. haven't seen any snakes here lately.
too dry for even them i guess. told my husband to try the spit thing.
need rain badly here too.

Maybe you could do a snake in effigy? That might work if your intent was
good. :)

Where are you located? Generally speaking, I mean.

Rachael Simpson 28-05-2007 08:16 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

good ole' north carolina - the southeast part of NC that is. we are about 9
inches below normal for our immediate area in the rain-fall
department........

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
.. .
"Rachael Simpson" wrote in
:

FragileWarrior 28-05-2007 08:18 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in
:

good ole' north carolina - the southeast part of NC that is. we are
about 9 inches below normal for our immediate area in the rain-fall
department........

Oh dear. I thought they said some of this current slow moving front was
coming your way, no? Well, get a piece of hose, pretend it's a snake, have
the whole family take a whack at it and hang it in a tree. Can't hurt
nuthin', at least.

Rachael Simpson 28-05-2007 08:32 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

I wish that front would come on over then. The first of last week I watched
it rain all around our house, but not a drop touched our yard. The few
remaining plants & bushes I have (the ones the goats didn't get!) could
really use some help, not mention the hay & corn fields around here. Wheat
fields are loving it though.

My dad & grandpa(s) used to do that whenever he killed a snake in the yard.
Heard that saying all my life, don't remember if there's much truth to it
though.

My two year old would love your fake snake "remedy". We have plenty of hose
pipes and old water hoses he could use. You just gave me a great idea for a
new game to play with him outside when he gets back.

FragileWarrior 28-05-2007 08:40 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in
:

My two year old would love your fake snake "remedy". We have plenty of
hose pipes and old water hoses he could use. You just gave me a great
idea for a new game to play with him outside when he gets back.

You can hang a "snake" from every tree! :)

Mel M Kelly 28-05-2007 08:41 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

I did and we got 1 1/2 inch plus the neighbors got a laugh

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

FragileWarrior 28-05-2007 08:59 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

(Mel M Kelly) wrote in news:8204-465B305E-550@storefull-
3311.bay.webtv.net:

I did and we got 1 1/2 inch plus the neighbors got a laugh

Did you do it nekkid?? Post .jpgs, please! You know, just for... um...
*RESEARCH* purposes.

:)

Rachael Simpson 28-05-2007 09:19 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

I wonder if it would work if my little boy danced?

*oh wait a minute - he does that all the time anyway.....................oh
well!

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
I did and we got 1 1/2 inch plus the neighbors got a laugh

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Rachael Simpson 28-05-2007 11:23 PM

Someone do a rain dance, please

just saw the local forcast on the 6 o'clock news. said we had a slight
chance for isolated rain and storms fri-sun of this coming weekend. i guess
it will do like last week and rain all around us, but not on us.......oh let
us pray, "lord, save the crops and the flowers and the gardens!"
maybe we will blessed with rain also.

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
I did and we got 1 1/2 inch plus the neighbors got a laugh

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Bill Rose 29-05-2007 12:47 AM

FragileWarrior wrote:

(Mel M Kelly) wrote in news:8204-465B305E-550@storefull-
3311.bay.webtv.net:

I did and we got 1 1/2 inch plus the neighbors got a laugh

Did you do it nekkid?? Post .jpgs, please! You know, just for... um...
*RESEARCH* purposes.

:)

Beware of what you ask for. We ain't 18 anymore. I'm just looking-out
for your retinas;-)

- Bill

Bill Rose 29-05-2007 12:54 AM

Someone do a rain dance, please

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in
:

My two year old would love your fake snake "remedy". We have plenty of
hose pipes and old water hoses he could use. You just gave me a great
idea for a new game to play with him outside when he gets back.

You can hang a "snake" from every tree! :)

Uh, Frag, what's this about nekkid pictures and snake fetishes? There's
a known cure for celibacy, you know. Get help before it's too late.
- Bill

Ann 29-05-2007 11:33 AM

Someone do a rain dance, please

"Rachael Simpson" expounded:

just saw the local forcast on the 6 o'clock news. said we had a slight
chance for isolated rain and storms fri-sun of this coming weekend. i guess
it will do like last week and rain all around us, but not on us.......oh let
us pray, "lord, save the crops and the flowers and the gardens!"
maybe we will blessed with rain also.

It rained up in Maine Saturday night. All weekend rain was predicted
for my home area down in Mass. We drove home from Maine on Sunday
through rain. Got close to my area, and it stopped. We didn't get a
drop of rain on my gardens down here. I'm doing a nekked garden
raindance this evening! :o)

mleblanca 29-05-2007 05:30 PM

On May 29, 3:33 am, Ann wrote:

It rained up in Maine Saturday night. All weekend rain was predicted
for my home area down in Mass. We drove home from Maine on Sunday
through rain. Got close to my area, and it stopped. We didn't get a
drop of rain on my gardens down here. I'm doing a nekked garden
raindance this evening! :o)
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked

No rain here since May 2 and none likely until Sept.
Even rain dances won't help, nekkid or otherwise;
that's the way it is here in Nor Cal. But nekkid dances
might be fun. Will see if the old babes in the garden
club might participate at our annual potluck!
Emilie
NorCal