Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2007, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plz identify this plant/weed (I think it's tomatillo)

On 6/7/07 7:53 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 6/7/07 6:50 AM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete
the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in
:

Last year I had some tomatillos planted in the center of a
tomato/pepper patch, and I planted them so close together I could
not get to the tomatillos. I didn't harvest any from them, and I'm
guessing several dozen or more fruits dropped and rotted on the
ground. This year, I have in that one area only, hundreds of little
plants growing. I thought at first they were weeds, but they only
grow in this one area, and now that they are getting bigger, they
look very suspicisously like baby tomatillos. Here is a pic:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...es/DSCF8976.jp
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...es/DSCF8978.jp

This is a real tomatillo that I planted:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...es/DSCF8957.jp

I don't recognize a weed that looks like that - I've started to
think that they are indeed tomatillos from last year. And there are
literally hundreds and hundreds of them!

That's how I got cherry tomatoes the second year after I threw the
old plant in my fire pit. By spring there were doezens of baby
plants just waiting to be transplanted.

Ditto with pumpkins, too. I cannot get rid of these things.

Tough problem to have

But they don't grow where I want them to grow and if I tranplant them
(out of the fire pit, for example) then they don't grow at all.

My neighbor had a dog that love graped tomatoes. Things sprung up all
over the place.

Ew. Don't eat those termatters!

Since they are still sprouting 3 years after the dog passed, I imagine they
are safe enough...