Old 16-06-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Colorado Potato Beetle

What do I do about them? Is there anything on the market that will
kill them off? My little crop of potatoes is infested. Any advice
will be appreciated.

Wayne

Old 16-06-2007, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 01:44:41 -0000, "
wrote:

What do I do about them? Is there anything on the market that will
kill them off? My little crop of potatoes is infested. Any advice
will be appreciated.

I used to spend an hour every day inspecting my plants and squishing
CPB. The trick is to find the eggs, orange clusters on the bottom of
the leaves, and scrape them off. If you get the eggs there will be no
larvae which do most of the damage. It is a time consuming but
effective method.

If you choose a chemical solution, Imidan will do the trick. READ THE
LABEL!

John

Old 16-06-2007, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

What do I do about them? Is there anything on the market that will
kill them off? My little crop of potatoes is infested. Any advice
will be appreciated.

I used to spend an hour every day inspecting my plants and squishing
CPB. The trick is to find the eggs, orange clusters on the bottom of
the leaves, and scrape them off. If you get the eggs there will be no
larvae which do most of the damage. It is a time consuming but
effective method.

If you choose a chemical solution, Imidan will do the trick. READ THE
LABEL!

John

My Pop used to plant marigolds around his potato plants. Swore that they
repelled the potato bugs. Funny thing is - he never had a problem with the
bugs. I did the same thing and it didn't work very well, helped a little,
but not much.................yeah, I know - not much help from me there. I
have done what John said about the eggs - that works well if you find all
the eggs.

Rae

Old 16-06-2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Never heard of Imidan but will check it out today. I've been picking
the big buggers and what eggs I can find for weeks but yesterday they
seemed to be everywhere all of a sudden. what a pest!

Thanks.

Wayne

Old 17-06-2007, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:11:15 -0000, "
wrote:

Never heard of Imidan but will check it out today. I've been picking
the big buggers and what eggs I can find for weeks but yesterday they
seemed to be everywhere all of a sudden. what a pest!

Yes, CPB is one of the worst pests. You will not find Imidan in any of
the retail stores. You have to go to a pesticide distributor. Not
cheap either but it works. READ THE LABEL.

John

Old 17-06-2007, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Never heard of Imidan but will check it out today. I've been picking
the big buggers and what eggs I can find for weeks but yesterday they
seemed to be everywhere all of a sudden. what a pest!

Yes, CPB is one of the worst pests. You will not find Imidan in any of
the retail stores. You have to go to a pesticide distributor. Not
cheap either but it works. READ THE LABEL.

John

Yeah, I looked today and couldn't find Imidan anywhere. Found Sevin
and it says it will control CPB but I wonder. Didn't buy that but I
will tomorrow because I am desperate. They are into the egg plants
now.

Wayne

Old 23-06-2007, 01:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

" writes:
Yeah, I looked today and couldn't find Imidan anywhere. Found Sevin
and it says it will control CPB but I wonder. Didn't buy that but I

Here in Australia, I understand Sevin was placed on the banned list many
years ago. A google search reveals the likely reason/s:

Carbaryl (Sevin (R)) Suspected animal carcinogen. When given to
several species of pregnant animals has also caused defects in their
offspring. May cause kidney damage. Causes acute nervous system effects.

Carbaryl is acutely toxic to honeybees and can destroy colonies of
bees that are foraging in an area where the chemical has been applied.

Honey on your breakfast toast, anyone?