Old 20-06-2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help ID'ing plant/tree

A garden I drive past regularly has this great looking plant in it. I
can't seem to drive by when there is anyone out in the yard and I'm
too shy to actually knock on their door to ask what it is, so thought
maybe you folks could help.

It looks like a short -- REALLY short -- maple tree of some kind.
It's about 2-3 feet tall. It has a single trunk (or a very trunk-like
stem) that is a couple inches in diameter and an umbrella-shaped
canopy of dark reddish/burgundy, maple-like leaves (deeply cut and
serrated). They must not think it's going to get very big, as it's an
anchor point in quite a small garden bed. It makes me think of a
Japanese maple, except it's so small and the shape is so tidy (I
realize that could be pruning, of course).

Sound familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Jo Ann

Old 20-06-2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 20, 4:15?pm, Jo Ann wrote:
A garden I drive past regularly has this great looking plant in it. I
can't seem to drive by when there is anyone out in the yard and I'm
too shy to actually knock on their door to ask what it is,

You could have snapped a picture.

It looks like a short -- REALLY short -- maple tree of some kind.
It's about 2-3 feet tall. It has a single trunk (or a very trunk-like
stem) that is a couple inches in diameter and an umbrella-shaped
canopy of dark reddish/burgundy, maple-like leaves (deeply cut and
serrated). They must not think it's going to get very big, as it's an
anchor point in quite a small garden bed. It makes me think of a
Japanese maple, except it's so small and the shape is so tidy (I
realize that could be pruning, of course).

Sound familiar to anyone?

I'll bet it's Japanese red maple... there are many cultivars, some
don't get very large and most don't grow very fast... they are also
rather simple to keep small by pruning/training... Japanee red maple
makes for fine bonsai specimens.

Old 20-06-2007, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
Jo Ann wrote:

A garden I drive past regularly has this great looking plant in it. I
can't seem to drive by when there is anyone out in the yard and I'm
too shy to actually knock on their door to ask what it is, so thought
maybe you folks could help.

It looks like a short -- REALLY short -- maple tree of some kind.
It's about 2-3 feet tall. It has a single trunk (or a very trunk-like
stem) that is a couple inches in diameter and an umbrella-shaped
canopy of dark reddish/burgundy, maple-like leaves (deeply cut and
serrated). They must not think it's going to get very big, as it's an
anchor point in quite a small garden bed. It makes me think of a
Japanese maple, except it's so small and the shape is so tidy (I
realize that could be pruning, of course).

Sound familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance for suggestions!

The dwarf Japanese Maple 'Shaina' is pretty small.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/75420/index.html
Old 21-06-2007, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 20, 4:08 pm, Amos Nomore wrote:
In article . com,
Jo Ann wrote:

A garden I drive past regularly has this great looking plant in it. I
can't seem to drive by when there is anyone out in the yard and I'm
too shy to actually knock on their door to ask what it is, so thought
maybe you folks could help.

It looks like a short -- REALLY short -- maple tree of some kind.
It's about 2-3 feet tall. It has a single trunk (or a very trunk-like
stem) that is a couple inches in diameter and an umbrella-shaped
canopy of dark reddish/burgundy, maple-like leaves (deeply cut and
serrated). They must not think it's going to get very big, as it's an
anchor point in quite a small garden bed. It makes me think of a
Japanese maple, except it's so small and the shape is so tidy (I
realize that could be pruning, of course).

Sound familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance for suggestions!

The dwarf Japanese Maple 'Shaina' is pretty small.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/75420/index.html- Hide quoted text -

As I look at these pictures, I'm convinced it is some kind of dwarf
Japanese red maple, and "Shaina" is a good possibility. I also think,
as Sheldon suggests, it's been bonsai'd (excuse the backformed verb)
to look exactly as it does. Thanks for the help! Now I need to
figure out where I can put one....

Jo Ann

Old 24-06-2007, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

With ref. to the topic of pruning.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

Looks just like a lace leaf japanese maple I transplanted.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 24-06-2007, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote:

Looks just like a lace leaf japanese maple I transplanted.

Looks just like... Jo Ann posted no picture I could see.