Old 02-07-2007, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Downloadable Horticulture database?

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 2, 12:37 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Interested in splitting the task? You take half the file and I take
the
other? Reassemble it later?

lol . . . that's the way I feel when I'm working on data people send
me at work. If I could just get my hands on them for 5 minutes . . .

I'd be grateful to split the task. I'd also be more than happy to
give you a copy of the entire database at the end if you have any use
for it.

Hang on a sec. If I leave the query as general as possible, I come up
with
39,000 to 47,000 plants. How did you end up with 200K?

I downloaded the csv from the USDA. Importing it into Excel, I had to
break it in half. first half around 120k lines. I emailed it to
you. take a look and make sure I counted right. it may be slightly
less than 200k.

Just got it. I think I misunderstood what your version of "clean up the
data" meant. I was referring to cleaning up the raw data, which I see
necessary for many of the "exceptional" records. But, you're talking about
editing out categories of plants. I honestly don't have that much time to
work on it that way.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 2, 12:52 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 2, 12:37 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

no worries. i completely understand. that's my problem as well.
that's why i'm trying to find other sources. thanks tho.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

ps.com...
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 2, 12:37 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

groups.com...

.

[...]

What about using the query interface to do some initial filtering?

Old 02-07-2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 2, 2:14 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

On Jul 2, 12:52 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jul 2, 12:37 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Actually, some additional poking around the USDA site gave me this
link: http://plants.nrcs.usda.gov/cgi_bin/...uery_down.html

I think if this is what you are talking about as far as filtering. I
went straight for the download, but I think this will filter out a lot
of what I don't want. This gave me 39k entries, plus it's broken out
so I have far less database cleanup to do. Now I just have to
reorganize it and filter out the weed and food items. Thanks for
putting me on the right track. This is much more doable.