Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Well, I tried to get into the garden today

But I was buzzed by mosquitoes the size of helicopters. The daylilies are in
bloom and I just got my first spray of sweetpeas.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
But I was buzzed by mosquitoes the size of helicopters. The daylilies are in
bloom and I just got my first spray of sweetpeas.

thank god we don't have the 'skeeters as bad this year. that's the only
good thing about the lack of rain here. normally, the 'skeeters are
really bad here to, can chalk that up to living along the river. lilies
have been in bloom for a week, and peas, squash, and cukes have been
coming off for about 2 weeks now.

still wish you could send me some rain though - but you can keep the
'skeeters! lol

rae
Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/8/07 1:59 PM, in article , "rachael
simpson" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
But I was buzzed by mosquitoes the size of helicopters. The daylilies are in
bloom and I just got my first spray of sweetpeas.

thank god we don't have the 'skeeters as bad this year. that's the only
good thing about the lack of rain here. normally, the 'skeeters are
really bad here to, can chalk that up to living along the river. lilies
have been in bloom for a week, and peas, squash, and cukes have been
coming off for about 2 weeks now.

Wish I could get fresh cukes - I'm craving some home made gazpacho!
still wish you could send me some rain though - but you can keep the
'skeeters! lol

I feel bad - DD is at camp for the week and there is supposed to be rain
every day this week.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

simpson" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
But I was buzzed by mosquitoes the size of helicopters. The daylilies are in
bloom and I just got my first spray of sweetpeas.

thank god we don't have the 'skeeters as bad this year. that's the only
good thing about the lack of rain here. normally, the 'skeeters are
really bad here to, can chalk that up to living along the river. lilies
have been in bloom for a week, and peas, squash, and cukes have been
coming off for about 2 weeks now.

Wish I could get fresh cukes - I'm craving some home made gazpacho!
still wish you could send me some rain though - but you can keep the
'skeeters! lol

I feel bad - DD is at camp for the week and there is supposed to be rain
every day this week.

What is "rain"?

This was the driest rain-year in southern California since
record-keeping began. (West of the Rocky Mountains, most rain falls in
the winter. Thus, rain years are reckoned from July to June or (by some
agencies) from October to September.) Los Angeles had 3.21 inches since
July 2006.

Where I live, the last measurable rain was 20 April. We probably won't
see rain again until late October or even November.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

simpson" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
[...]

On the other hand, if you get 2" of rain the drains all back up and you
get have flash flooding. Once you get out of LA and Orange County, which
are bathed in water that comes from far away, it's arid waste land and
the the Mojave Desert. It's a one season climate that goes from cool to
hot. What Southern California calls winter, most people would call a
very mild spring. What has happened is that the amount of water that is
being diverted into the peripheral canal from the Sacramento River in
northern California has been reduced because the amount of water that
was being taken is affecting a number of species of fish in the
Sacramento delta.
When the lawns turn brown and people stop letting water run down the
street while they wash their cars, then I'd be worried.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

[IMG] code is On

Went out into the veg garden today alan.holmes United Kingdom 0 06-03-2010 10:25 PM
Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM