Old 11-07-2007, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Please identify plant? ? ?

Earlier I posted a query about this plant, but now it has grown.
Recently I visited William Faulkner's home, Rowan Oak, in Oxford, Miss. I
pulled a small plant which was coming out of the side of the stump of a
cut-down tree. I was hoping it was an elm tree. I have now gotten it to
growing. The first set of growth was a five-leave cluster. The next cluster
contained four leaves. But the latest ones contain only three leaves, which
leads me to believe I may be growing poison ivy.

Some have said it might be Virginia Creeper. Or is it an elm of some kind?

It can be seen at: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/tree2.htm

Any guidance appreciated.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Ray" expounded:

Earlier I posted a query about this plant, but now it has grown.
Recently I visited William Faulkner's home, Rowan Oak, in Oxford, Miss. I
pulled a small plant which was coming out of the side of the stump of a
cut-down tree. I was hoping it was an elm tree. I have now gotten it to
growing. The first set of growth was a five-leave cluster. The next cluster
contained four leaves. But the latest ones contain only three leaves, which
leads me to believe I may be growing poison ivy.

Some have said it might be Virginia Creeper. Or is it an elm of some kind?

It can be seen at: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/tree2.htm

Any guidance appreciated.

Now with this new picture I see it is definitely virginia creeper.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

"Ray" expounded:

Earlier I posted a query about this plant, but now it has grown.
Recently I visited William Faulkner's home, Rowan Oak, in Oxford, Miss. I
pulled a small plant which was coming out of the side of the stump of a
cut-down tree. I was hoping it was an elm tree. I have now gotten it to
growing. The first set of growth was a five-leave cluster. The next cluster
contained four leaves. But the latest ones contain only three leaves, which
leads me to believe I may be growing poison ivy.

Some have said it might be Virginia Creeper. Or is it an elm of some kind?

It can be seen at: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/tree2.htm

Any guidance appreciated.

Now with this new picture I see it is definitely virginia creeper.

I agree and have lots about. Seems to like to grow up our oak trees.

Bill who sees four leaves not shiny.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ray wrote:

It can be seen at: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/tree2.htm

Any guidance appreciated.

I would take that plant, potting soil and all and tie it up in a
plastic bag and throw it in the trash that leaves my property. I have
neighbors up the street that lets it grow up trees and I'm constantly
pulling up small plants where the wind and birds brought the seeds to
my yard - by the hundreds!!

Tom J

Old 11-07-2007, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 11, 3:12 pm, "Tom J" wrote:
Ray wrote:

It can be seen at:http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/tree2.htm

Any guidance appreciated.

I would take that plant, potting soil and all and tie it up in a
plastic bag and throw it in the trash that leaves my property. I have
neighbors up the street that lets it grow up trees and I'm constantly
pulling up small plants where the wind and birds brought the seeds to
my yard - by the hundreds!!

Tom J

I've got it all over the place. Fortunately it does not take anything
over. Maybe the deer eat it like they do my ivy. OP sounds like my
wife, No matter how many times I show her poison ivy, she's
constantly having me look at a weed like Virginia Creeper
Frank