Old 21-07-2007, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Good Read from SMC

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/healthrepor...htm#transcript

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 21-07-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/healthrepor...htm#transcript

Bill

Your way to modest. It's really a very, very good read.

Robert Lustig:. . . And then the third reason that exercise is
important, which is somewhat not well known, but I'm trying to evaluate
this at the present time, is that it actually helps detoxify the sugar
fructose. Fructose actually is a hepato-toxin; now fructose is fruit
sugar but we were never designed to take in so much fructose. Our
consumption of fructose has gone from less than half a pound per year in
1970 to 56 pounds per year in 2003.

Norman Swan: It's the dominant sugar in these so-called sugar free jams
for example that you buy, these sort of natural fruit jams.

Robert Lustig: Right, originally it was used because since it's not
regulated by insulin it was thought to be the perfect sugar for
diabetics and so it got introduced as that. Then of course high fructose
corn syrup came on the market after it was invented in Japan in 1966,
and started finding its way into American foods in 1975. In 1980 the
soft drink companies started introducing it into soft drinks and you can
actually trace the prevalence of childhood obesity, and the rise, to
1980 when this change was made.

Norman Swan: What is it about this, it's got more calories than ordinary
sugar weight for weight hasn't it?

Robert Lustig: No, actually it's not the calories that are different
it's the fact that the only organ in your body that can take up fructose
is your liver. Glucose, the standard sugar, can be taken up by every
organ in the body, only 20% of glucose load ends up at your liver. So
let's take 120 calories of glucose, that's two slices of white bread as
an example, only 24 of those 120 calories will be metabolised by the
liver, the rest of it will be metabolised by your muscles, by your
brain, by your kidneys, by your heart etc. directly with no
interference. Now let's take 120 calories of orange juice. Same 120
calories but now 60 of those calories are going to be fructose because
fructose is half of sucrose and sucrose is what's in orange juice. So
it's going to be all the fructose, that's 60 calories, plus 20% of the
glucose, so that's another 12 out of 60 -- so in other words 72 out of
the 120 calories will hit the liver, three times the substrate as when
it was just glucose alone.

That bolus of extra substrate to your liver does some very bad things to
it.

Norman Swan: Dr Robert Lustig who's Professor of Pediatric Endocrinology
at the University of California, San Francisco. And you're listening to
a Health Report special here on ABC Radio National on how food
manufacturers by adding fructose to our foods, either from corn syrup as
in the United States or added sucrose as in Australia, may actually be
making the obesity epidemic even worse, starting with damage to our
liver cells, the hepatocytes.

Robert Lustig: The first thing it does is it increases the phosphate
depletion of the hepatocyte which ultimately causes an increase in uric
acid. Uric acid is an inhibitor of nitric oxide, nitric oxide is your
naturally occurring blood pressure lowerer. And so fructose is famous
for causing hypertension.

Norman Swan: High blood pressure. And what you're saying here is that
the liver cell itself gets depleted of this phosphate and then you've
got this downstream reaction.

Robert Lustig: That's right. And so when you have excess uric acid
you're going to end up with increased blood pressure and we actually
have data from the NHANES study in America, the National Health and
Nutritional Examination Survey in America which actually shows that the
most obese hypertensive kids are making more uric acid and have an
increased percentage of their calories coming from fructose.

Norman Swan: Are they getting gout as well?

Robert Lustig: Well not yet. They will.

Norman Swan: So what you're saying in fact is that whilst we are clearly
eating too much, we're passively eating too much of the wrong thing,
that the food manufacturing industry is putting stuff in which is
fuelling the epidemic?

Robert Lustig: Absolutely, we're being poisoned to death, that's a very
strong statement but I think we can back it up with very clear
scientific evidence.

Norman Swan: There's clear scientific evidence on this fructose pathway
in the liver?

Robert Lustig: There's clear scientific evidence on the fructose doing
three things that are particularly bad in the liver. The first is this
uric acid pathway that I just mentioned, the second is that fructose
initiates what's known as de novo lipogenesis.

Norman Swan: Which is fat production.

Robert Lustig: Excess fat production and so VLDL, very low density
lipoproteins end up being manufactured when you consume this large bolus
of fructose in a way that glucose does not, and so that leads to
dyslipidaemia.

Norman Swan: And that's the bad form of cholesterol.

Robert Lustig: That's correct. And then the last thing that fructose
does in the liver is it initiates an enzyme called Junk one, and Junk
one has been shown by investigators at Harvard Medical School basically
is the inflammation pathway and when you initiate Junk one what happens
is that your insulin receptor in your liver stops working. It's
phosphorylated in a way that basically inactivates it, serum
phosphorylation it's called and when your insulin receptor doesn't work
in your liver that means your insulin levels all over your body have to
rise. And when that happens basically you're going to interfere with
normal brain metabolism of the insulin signal which is part of this
leptin phenomenon I mentioned before. It's also going to increase the
amount of insulin at the adipocyte storing more energy. And you put all
of this together and basically you've got a feed forward system of
increased insulin, increased liver fat, liver deposition of fat,
increased inflammation -- you end up with non-alcoholic fatty liver
disease. You end up with your inability to see your leptin and so you
consume more fructose and you've now got a viscious cycle out of control.

In fact fructose, because of the way it's metabolised, is actually
damaging your liver the same way alcohol is. In fact it's the exact same
pathway, in fact fructose is alcohol without the buzz.

Norman Swan: So this is the obesity related fatty liver disease that
people talk about?

Robert Lustig: Exactly.

Norman Swan: Some people say, I've heard obesity experts say, well it's
surprising that will all the ready availability of food that we're not
fatter. In other words that we are actually controlling our appetite
pretty well given that we've probably been evolutionary designed to eat
anything that goes, and there's anything that goes all around us, so why
aren't we actually fatter? It's not so much why is there an obesity
epidemic, why isn't is worse, is what people say and therefore you don't
need to postulate fructose, it's just the fact that we've evolved in the
Savannah to eat in times of plenty.

Robert Lustig: I've heard those same concerns you know, why, if we have
so many calories why aren't we fatter. Well there are a few reasons why
that might be. I do want to mention that the American food industry
produces 3,900 calories per capita per day. We can only eat 1,800
calories per capita per day. In other words the American food industry
makes double the amount of food that we can actually use. Who eats the
rest? We do, through this mechanism, they actually know that by putting
fructose into the foods that we eat, for instance pretzels -- why do you
need fructose in pretzels, why do we need fructose in hamburger buns?

Norman Swan: Are you postulating here a fructose conspiracy, the way the
tobacco industry had a nicotine conspiracy?

Robert Lustig: Well I can't call it a conspiracy per se. I certainly
know, and they certainly know that they sell more of it when they add
the fructose to it. That's why it's in there, otherwise why would it be
in there? Do they know that this is actually harmful? That's what I
don't know. There's no smoking gun, ultimately we found the smoking gun
for smoking, you know we found the documents. I'm not prepared to say
that about the food companies. I do not know that they know that they
are hurting us. However, they definitely know they sell more, and it
temporarily coincides with the advent of fructose being added to our
diet.

Norman Swan: And of course you could argue that it's going up because
they are responding to the market and they've got sugar-free, fat-free
etc. etc.

Robert Lustig: Well in fact fat-free doesn't help, if anything as the
fat content of our foods has gone down, and it has gone down, it's gone
from 40% to 30%, in fact our obesity prevalence has gone way up. So
that's not the answer.

Norman Swan: This is because they're adding carbohydrates and sugars to
it to replace the fat.

Robert Lustig: Absolutely, in fact fat does not raise your insulin but
certainly sugar does. And fructose has been bandied about...because
after all it doesn't raise your insulin directly because there's no
fructose receptor on your beta cell in your pancreas. So people say well
it doesn't raise your insulin, but in fact it does because it's a
chronic effect not an acute effect. This has nothing to do with one
fructose meal, this has to do with a year's worth of fructose meals, or
a lifetime's worth of fructose meals, because as you become insulin
resistant, which fructose clearly does and has been shown by many
investigators not just me -- that interferes with that leptin signal
which causes you to eat more.

Norman Swan: Insulin-resistance increases your insulin levels because
your pancreas pumps out more to get the insulin working.

Robert Lustig: Exactly, especially since your liver is not responding to
it because of that effect on the serum phosphorylation of the insulin
receptor. So that's going to cause you to make a whole lot more insulin,
that's going to interfere with your leptin, that's going to make you eat
more so the whole thing just keeps going out of control.
.. . .
---------------

Thanks Bill
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 21-07-2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Susan over in SMC posted this info.

Was labeled

Biochemisty of obesity discussion by pediatric endocrinologist

I find it disturbing and sort of think of mass poisoning by intent or
stupidly I don't know which . Anything for a buck vs. cheap calories.

Bill at least it is not Soylent Green.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 21-07-2007, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

BTW That song that was in my head that you helped me find is 18 minutes
and 49 seconds long. No wonder I had no clue but you should hear the
separation. Whew ....

New York 1963 - America 1968 18:49 Eric Burdon & The Animals

Every One Of Us

Available at Amazon as an import $25 or a few other places.

My address works I think.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade