Old 22-07-2007, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Green sticky seeds

Gonna be a tough one to visualize I know, but I'm trying to figure out where
my cat is picking up these things.

Anyway, he's coming in with these BB sized green seeds(??) stuck to his fur
that take quite a bit of effort to remove. They aren't sticky so much as I
think they're more like velcro, they stick to all the fabrics in the house
which makes it tough to get rid of them with a vacuum.

Any ideas what plant is producing those? All I can think of is perhaps the
climbing Wisteria I have on my fence, the grass/weeds in the back 40 or what
I don't know.

Old 22-07-2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Eigenvector wrote:

Gonna be a tough one to visualize I know, but I'm trying to figure out where
my cat is picking up these things.

Anyway, he's coming in with these BB sized green seeds(??) stuck to his fur
that take quite a bit of effort to remove. They aren't sticky so much as I
think they're more like velcro, they stick to all the fabrics in the house
which makes it tough to get rid of them with a vacuum.

Any ideas what plant is producing those? All I can think of is perhaps the
climbing Wisteria I have on my fence, the grass/weeds in the back 40 or what
I don't know.

More than likely a weed called "beggar's lice", fairly common throughout
North America. A Google for a picture should tell you if that's what it
is. My dog comes in when we haven't mowed for a bit with them sticking
to her legs.

George

Old 22-07-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 22, 3:02 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Gonna be a tough one to visualize I know, but I'm trying to figure out where
my cat is picking up these things.

Anyway, he's coming in with these BB sized green seeds(??) stuck to his fur
that take quite a bit of effort to remove. They aren't sticky so much as I
think they're more like velcro, they stick to all the fabrics in the house
which makes it tough to get rid of them with a vacuum.

Any ideas what plant is producing those? All I can think of is perhaps the
climbing Wisteria I have on my fence, the grass/weeds in the back 40 or what
I don't know.

Sorry I cant remember where you are,(Pacific coast?)
Anyway Forget me nots,
Stickseed (Hackelia)
Bidens also called beggar-tick, sticktight, or bur marigold
Galium (bedstraw, cleavers)
are irritating possibilities.

Emilie
NorCal
who has removed all of the above from hiking boots
and socks,yuck

Old 23-07-2007, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

"mleblanca" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Yeah I suppose a location would help narrow it down some - Seattle.

Old 23-07-2007, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

"George Shirley" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:

Gonna be a tough one to visualize I know, but I'm trying to figure out
where my cat is picking up these things.

Anyway, he's coming in with these BB sized green seeds(??) stuck to his
fur that take quite a bit of effort to remove. They aren't sticky so
much as I think they're more like velcro, they stick to all the fabrics
in the house which makes it tough to get rid of them with a vacuum.

Any ideas what plant is producing those? All I can think of is perhaps
the climbing Wisteria I have on my fence, the grass/weeds in the back 40
or what I don't know.

More than likely a weed called "beggar's lice", fairly common throughout
North America. A Google for a picture should tell you if that's what it
is. My dog comes in when we haven't mowed for a bit with them sticking to
her legs.

George

Possibly, I haven't seen anything like that around, although I'm sure my cat
knows the local flora and fauna better than I do - and I have a big back
yard too!

If it is weeds and there's not many of them, I won't worry too much about
it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was planting in my
herb garden - like the rosemary or the lavender plants. I don't have any
experience working with herbs so I don't know how they reproduce.

Old 23-07-2007, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

I have an extensive herb garden and have no herbs, including the two you
mentioned, that have seeds like you describe. I wouldn't suspect the
herb garden.

George

Old 23-07-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Green sticky seeds - winner

Eigenvector wrote:

Gonna be a tough one to visualize I know, but I'm trying to figure out
where my cat is picking up these things.

Anyway, he's coming in with these BB sized green seeds(??) stuck to his
fur that take quite a bit of effort to remove. They aren't sticky so
much as I think they're more like velcro, they stick to all the fabrics
in the house which makes it tough to get rid of them with a vacuum.

Any ideas what plant is producing those? All I can think of is perhaps
the climbing Wisteria I have on my fence, the grass/weeds in the back 40
or what I don't know.

More than likely a weed called "beggar's lice", fairly common throughout
North America. A Google for a picture should tell you if that's what it
is. My dog comes in when we haven't mowed for a bit with them sticking to
her legs.

George

Yup, that's what it is, thanks for the tip. I found a pic of it, then went
out hunting for it. Found it under the big birch tree that my cat uses to
spy on the neighbors

Old 23-07-2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

Did you just have some of the cutest little volunteer low lying blue
flowers with a yellow center?
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 23-07-2007, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

Pretty flower, freakin' bitch to get out of fabric.
Old 23-07-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 15:02:48 -0700, Eigenvector wrote:
Gonna be a tough one to visualize I know, but I'm trying to figure out where
my cat is picking up these things.

Anyway, he's coming in with these BB sized green seeds(??) stuck to his fur
that take quite a bit of effort to remove. They aren't sticky so much as I
think they're more like velcro, they stick to all the fabrics in the house
which makes it tough to get rid of them with a vacuum.

Galium sp., betcha.
http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/seed....asp?strId=343
http://biology.missouristate.edu/Herbarium/Plants%20o
f%20the%20Interior%20Highlands/Flowers/Galium%20aparine.jpg