Old 27-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Registered User

Question Patio Tree

We live in South West France. normally we get temperatures of up to 34 degrees C in summer, and short periods of minus 9 to 12 degrees C in winter.
We have had a patio consturcted and have left a one metre diameter hole for a tree to be planted to give some shade. The patio is laid on one foot of reinforced concrete, and underneath that there is solid clay, which in the hole makes water very slow draining. We have been advised that the tree roots may rise and distort the patio in time. Is this likely to happen? If so, what type of shrub or small tree would thrive in these conditions without endangering the patio?
We would be most grateful for any suggestions.
Old 27-07-2007, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Patio Tree

In article ,
Audrey P wrote:

We live in South West France. normally we get temperatures of up to 34
degrees C in summer, and short periods of minus 9 to 12 degrees C in
winter.
We have had a patio consturcted and have left a one metre diameter hole
for a tree to be planted to give some shade. The patio is laid on one
foot of reinforced concrete, and underneath that there is solid clay,
which in the hole makes water very slow draining. We have been advised
that the tree roots may rise and distort the patio in time. Is this
likely to happen? If so, what type of shrub or small tree would thrive
in these conditions without endangering the patio?
We would be most grateful for any suggestions.

Un vigne sur une charmille. Le trou est trop petit pour un vrai arbre.
Ou demande le conseil de une pépiniere prés de vous.

A bas Bush
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 29-07-2007, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Audrey P" wrote in message

We live in South West France. normally we get temperatures of up to 34
degrees C in summer, and short periods of minus 9 to 12 degrees C in
winter.
We have had a patio consturcted and have left a one metre diameter hole
for a tree to be planted to give some shade. The patio is laid on one
foot of reinforced concrete, and underneath that there is solid clay,
which in the hole makes water very slow draining. We have been advised
that the tree roots may rise and distort the patio in time. Is this
likely to happen?

If you plant the tree too deep the woody roots will often come up and become
surface roots.

http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/ppb1.html

http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/ppb2.html

ALSO SEE THE FOLLOWING FOR PLANTING
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html

If so, what type of shrub or small tree would thrive
in these conditions without endangering the patio?

How big is your patio? Do you have room to make a big pot? I can give some
suggestions for a big pot. The pot has to be big.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman