Old 02-08-2007, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default New Lawn Yellowing

On Aug 1, 10:51 am, Billy Rose wrote:
In article om,

mleblanca wrote:

A moment of of contemplation for Emilie who will be experiencing 102 F
today. Stay cool.
--
FB - FFF

Billyhttp://angryarab.blogspot.com/

lol Thanks Billy
Actually it "only " got to 100.7 and has already cooled down to
99.6. Nights about 65, so not too bad.
July temps: 29 days above 90,
2 days: 84 and 87 (the day it 'rained' .27 in.
Supposed to have a cold spell on the weekend; probably will
be changed before that arrives...Ha
Emilie
in the blast furnace

Old 17-08-2007, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 28, 9:40 pm, Amos Nomore wrote:
In article . com,

wrote:
Early this spring, I put down new sod. The grass looked incredibly
healthy for several months. But now, although it's still very thick,
the grass is starting to look yellowish. It's not underwatering, as I
know the gray-green tinge underwatering causes. I have not
fertililized thelawnsince I laid it down (except for the starter
fertilizer). I cut the grass high at the mower's highest setting, and
use a mulching blade. (The mulched clippings are fine enough not to
be visible on thelawn.) I deep soak thelawnthree times a week. I
feel like I'm doing everything "right" but still, it's looking
yellowish. Any suggestions?

You might try letting it dry out a little between waterings. Give the
grass motivation to root deeper.

Iron? 3x per week is too much. Define deep soak? Most grass needs
watering to an inch deep to encourage the roots to grow deeper. How
large an area, what type of sprinklers and how long do they run? Are
you on a slope? Do you use a lawn contractor?

For example:

1000 sq. feet of lawn requires 1000 x .62 gallons (.62 gallons covers
1 sf to a deph on 1 inch) gallons of water to apply an inch of
water.

So, if you have 1000 SF to water, you need to apply 620 gallons of
water per week (abscent rain).

If your sprinkler delivers 3 gallons per minute, you need to water the
same area for 3.44 hours.

If you have a slope, then you still need the same amount of water, but
it must be applied incrementally to prevent runoff.

Old 17-08-2007, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 29, 1:28 am, Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
Amos Nomore wrote:

In article .com,
Sheldon wrote:

Sod never really roots. Sod is extra susceptible to everylawn
malady. Sod is like hydroponiclawn. If sod is not greening up it
probably needs nitrogen. It's not possible to sucessfully grow sod
withoiut an automated sprinkler system. Sod requires daily watering
and constant [time release] fertilizing and pesticides. Sod is for
those who have no patience and have more dollars than brain cells.
Sod can't compete with a seededlawn.

Balderdash.

Yes, of course but the really amazing thing to me is that Sheldon always
goes after the poster of a question with hammer and tongs. Posing as
superior is more important to Sheldon than answering the question in a
civilized manner. Which leads most to conclude that Sheldon is an anal
sphincter with keyboard skills.
--
FB - FFF

Billyhttp://angryarab.blogspot.com/

Sod requires less work. However, it does require more water. Instant
lawn, which is what most people want. But it's just not that simple.
If you are selling your home and want to fool the buyer, plant sod.

Note to would be home buyers: Lift the sod and get a soil test.
Chances are, if it's new sod, you will be able to lift it. If you
can, the seller is trying to make his/her home more attractive. Dig
deeper. If the lawn is a mess or hasn't been cared for, the rest of
the home hasn't been maintained either.

However, seed or sod, the annual maintenace is pretty much the same.

[IMG] code is On

Yellowing Lawn Steveg Lawns 4 13-06-2012 02:53 PM
New Lawn Yellowing Question miguel Gardening 0 30-08-2004 06:55 PM
[IBC] help! for yew trees with yellowing needles in New England Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 02-07-2003 12:20 AM
help! for yew trees with yellowing needles in New England W. Curtiss Priest Bonsai 4 01-07-2003 11:34 PM
help! for yew trees with yellowing needles in New England W. Curtiss Priest Gardening 3 01-07-2003 11:33 PM