Old 07-08-2007, 10:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default The benefits of Papaya

The benefits of Papaya
Papaya has the properties,which are not present in other fruits.It is
a rich source of Nutrients.
http://foodone.blogspot.com/2007/08/...ial-fruit.html

Old 07-08-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
jack wrote:

The benefits of Papaya
Papaya has the properties,which are not present in other fruits.It is
a rich source of Nutrients.
http://foodone.blogspot.com/2007/08/...ial-fruit.html

It's also a meat tenderizer.
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 07-08-2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article . com,
jack wrote:

The benefits of Papaya
Papaya has the properties,which are not present in other fruits.It is
a rich source of Nutrients.
http://foodone.blogspot.com/2007/08/...ial-fruit.html

It's also a meat tenderizer.

.....and a breath mint.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 7, 10:38 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Billy Rose" wrote in message

In article . com,
jack wrote:

The benefits of Papaya
Papaya has the properties,which are not present in other fruits.It is
a rich source of Nutrients.
http://foodone.blogspot.com/2007/08/...ial-fruit.html

It's also a meat tenderizer.

....and a breath mint.

And suuuuuper delicious. When I was in Micronesia with the Peace
Corps, I had Papaya growing all around me, all year. I was almost
habituated. Lots of local lore about it, like increasing libido,
etc.
I had not had it before, other than the dried and sugared kind, and
looked for it when I got back. But, all I could find in the US was
Central American, and it is very different, and, to me, not as good.
But it sure is good in a Papaya Boat: a half with the scooped out
portion filled with ice cream.

cheers

oz, wishing I could grow lots of what I had out there.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

and if it comes from Hawaii it might come with its own GMO inserted
viral genes. ahhh.... the plights of monoculture and monogenetics.
Ingrid

Old 14-08-2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

as far as I know only IN Hawaii. sorry, no other info. dont eat
papaya. Ingrid

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:50:45 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

and if it comes from Hawaii it might come with its own GMO inserted
viral genes. ahhh.... the plights of monoculture and monogenetics.
Ingrid

So where can you get the real deal? Is it only Hawaii that is growing
"Franken" papaya? Any links?

Old 14-08-2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
wrote:

as far as I know only IN Hawaii. sorry, no other info. dont eat
papaya. Ingrid

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:50:45 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

and if it comes from Hawaii it might come with its own GMO inserted
viral genes. ahhh.... the plights of monoculture and monogenetics.
Ingrid

Beware the Hawaiian GMO Rainbow and Sunup Papaya

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln11a.html

The Honolulu Advertiser

Posted on: Friday, September 10, 2004

Genetically modified papaya protested

By Beverly Creamer
Advertiser Staff Writer

A group of Big Island farmers opposed to genetically engineered plants
dumped more than 20 papaya fruit into a trash bin on the University of
Hawai'i-Hilo campus yesterday in a symbolic protest of what they say is
"contamination" of their trees by plants created by UH scientists.

The group, which leaders say includes as many as 100 small farmers,
including conventional, backyard and organic farmers on three islands,
is calling on UH to create a plan to prevent cross-pollination of their
papaya trees as well as offering liability protection for growers if
their markets are lost.

The farmers say a new study they financed shows major contamination of
their trees by genetically engineered plants that could potentially
affect their ability to market papaya to Japan, deeply cutting into
Hawai'i's export market of non-engineered papaya. The papaya industry is
worth about $12 million annually.

"They're bringing out technologies that are not functional for all
farmers," said Melanie Bondera, who heads Hawai'i Genetic Engineering
Action Network and has a small organic farm on the Big Island. "For
farmers there's a loss-of-market issue. For papaya, our market is
primarily Japan and Europe, and they won't accept any genetically
modified organism."

A top UH agriculture dean questioned the methodology of the group's
research, but said the university would be happy to assess any
scientific data they present regarding cross-pollination.

"If they're willing to explain their methodologies then we could have a
conversation about the validity of the information about contamination
and how it got there," said Andrew Hashimoto, dean of the College of
Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources.

"Since 1998 there's been 100 million pounds of transgenetic papaya in
the state -- the Rainbow and Sunup papaya -- marketed ... so a lot of
people in Hawai'i and on the Mainland have been eating this product with
no documented health consequences."

The issue is one being felt worldwide as organic farmers and citizens
concerned about the effects of genetically engineered or altered food
worry about long-term health effects. Japan does not allow Hawai'i's
genetically engineered papaya to be imported. Neither does the European
Union, which has banned all modified products.

Meanwhile, the American Medical Association has reported that the action
of genetically modifying plants does not adversely affect health any
more than natural breeding methods do.

Dianne Ley, deputy director of the state Department of Agriculture, said
the genetically modified papaya have been certified by the U.S.
Department of Agriculture as well as the federal Food and Drug
Administration.

"The issues of coexistence (of different types of farming) are really
challenging, particularly with an issue as complex as genetically
modified organisms," said Ley.

Hashimoto said there would be no papaya industry in Hawai'i without
research that created genetic modifications in 1996 to create a plant
resistant to the ringspot virus that was decimating Hawai'i's papaya
crops.

"Our papaya industry would not be here if not for transgenic papaya.
Without that the papaya industry would be totally defunct."

Pieces of the virus were added to the DNA structure of the plant in
order to protect it against the virus in the wild.

Kenneth Kamiya, an O'ahu papaya farmer, said he would be out of business
without genetic modification. "We don't have any other choice because of
the virus pressure," said Kamiya.

"In the future, when the virus subsides, maybe we can go back. But
without the genetically modified plant we won't stay in business."

But organic farmer Toivo Lahti on the Big Island said he recently had to
destroy his 170 papaya trees because they had been cross-pollinated with
the genetically modified strain, and he can't sell his fruit as organic.

"They were contaminated, we found out," said Lahti. "I had to cut them
all.

"The problem is if you sell that papaya and they take the seed and plant
it, then you're spreading the genetically modified seed. You don't have
any idea which seeds are contaminated or not."

In doing their cross-pollination study the groups solicited papaya from
all geographic areas of the Big Island, said Bondera, taking 300 seeds
from each of 60 papaya. The seeds were lumped together in one composite
pile and tested for cross-pollination by genetically engineered fruit.
She said there was 50 percent contamination.

In Puna the genetically modified papaya fruit are being used as a buffer
around nonengineered trees, said state officials, and so far that has
been working well to prevent the ringspot virus from attacking the
nonengineered trees.

But even so, opponents to the genetic engineering say unless something
is done, cross-pollination will continue to occur due to everything from
bees and birds to wind and farm workers.

Reach Beverly Creamer at or 525-8013.
----------

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/...papaya.sd.html

Feb. 19, 2006
Genetic engineering saved Hawaii's papaya industry -- so why aren't
other countries following suit?
By Sarah Davidson

ST. LOUIS -- Genetically engineered papaya that resists the devastating
papaya ringspot virus (PRSV) has saved Hawaii's papaya industry. But
efforts to grow PRSV-resistant papaya in developing countries are
stalled, and researchers aren't sure why, according to a retired Cornell
University plant virologist.

Speaking at the annual meeting of the American Association of the
Advancement of Science today (Feb. 19), Dennis Gonsalves, now director
of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Pacific Basin Agricultural
Research Center in Hilo, Hawaii, and professor emeritus of plant
pathology at Cornell, reviewed how the transgenic papaya was
successfully developed, deregulated and commercialized in Hawaii.

"But despite our efforts to produce and implement PRSV-resistant papaya
in such developing countries as Venezuela, Thailand, Brazil, Jamaica and
Bangladesh, deploying the crop in these countries has been nearly
aborted or delayed," said Gonsalves.

His presentation, "Transgenic papaya for developing countries," was part
of a symposium on "Agricultural Biotechnology in the Public Sector:
Overcoming Challenges to Reach Developing Country Markets."

"The technology works beyond a doubt," said Gonsalves. "It is safe, but
it has not been transferred to a point where it's available to the
people. Our challenge now is figuring out why and to determine how we
get it to the end user in a timely manner."

The papaya industry in the Puna district of Hawaii, where 95 percent of
the state's papaya is grown, would not be in existence today, Gonsalves
said, without genetically engineered PRSV-resistant papaya. "The
situation was devastating," he said.

Gonsalves said that studying Hawaii's experience in saving its papaya
industry with genetically engineered PRSV-resistant papaya hopefully
will shed light on why developing countries aren't following suit.

"It is a case worthy of study to see if more universities or
governmental agencies can do this kind of work," Gonsalves commented.
"If you want to look for an ideal case, it's tough to beat the papaya.
Big corporations are not involved -- we're just small university or
government scientists doing the work, and the growers control it in the
case of Hawaii. It's a great model, so why is progress being delayed?"

The papaya in Hawaii, he said, also can serve as a test case for
genetically engineered food crops developed in the United States for
other countries, such as Japan.

"With the papaya, people will be choosing a product that they will
consume fresh, unlike nearly all of the currently genetically engineered
corn and soybean," he said.

Sarah Davidson is a student writer intern at the Cornell News Service.
---------

http://www.geo-pie.cornell.edu/crops/papaya.html

Am I eating genetically engineered papaya?

It's possible, but is more likely in Hawaiian and west coast markets.
All commercial production of GE papayas is in Hawaii-- where the GE
varieties "Rainbow" and "SunUp" account for more than 50% of local
papaya production-- but the supply of GE papayas to the mainland is
still relatively small. Much of the papayas sold in the continental US
are imported from Brazil, Mexico, and the Caribbean (and not
genetically-engineered). If your papaya is labeled with a Hawaii origin,
odds are 50-50 that it is genetically engineered.

The history and prevalence of GE papayas

In the mid 90s, responding to a devastating papaya virus epidemic,
researchers at Cornell University and at the University of Hawaii
developed two virus-resistant varieties of GE papaya--"Rainbow" and
"SunUp"-- which were approved for commercial plantings in late 1996. The
Hawaiian Papaya Administrative Committee negotiated agreements with
various patent-holders to allow the GE seeds to be given free to
Hawaiian papaya growers, and the first commercial plantings were made in
May of 1998.

The new varieties were so successful in resisting the viral epidemic
that by the next year "Rainbow" and "SunUp" were planted on more than
30% of Hawaii's papaya acreage. Despite utility for growers, the
Hawaiian papaya industry recently has found itself facing a dilemma:
Japan, the importer of almost 40% of Hawaii's papayas, has shown some
reluctance to purchase the GE papaya varieties.

US researchers are currently collaborating with public-sector scientists
in many other papaya-growing countries-- who are similarly facing a
papaya viral epidemic-- to help them employ the technology to develop
their own resistant lines.