Old 07-08-2007, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Looking for specific plant

Need your help,

About 12 years ago someone gave me a thick/green leaf and instructed
me to 1) score the back of the leaf with my fingernail and 2)place
the leaf in a glass of water until roots started. The roots started
growing from the fleshy/underpart of the leaf, not necessarily near
the crown.

I thought she said it was a Jade plant, yet I can't find any mention
through Google on scoring the fleshy part of the leaf to start root
growth...

Any ideas?

Deion "Mule" Christopher

Old 07-08-2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 13:46:29 -0000, MoMule
wrote:

Need your help,

About 12 years ago someone gave me a thick/green leaf and instructed
me to 1) score the back of the leaf with my fingernail and 2)place
the leaf in a glass of water until roots started. The roots started
growing from the fleshy/underpart of the leaf, not necessarily near
the crown.

I thought she said it was a Jade plant, yet I can't find any mention
through Google on scoring the fleshy part of the leaf to start root
growth...

Any ideas?

Deion "Mule" Christopher

Hmm, I found this in about two seconds:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/jade.html
Old 07-08-2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Need your help,

About 12 years ago someone gave me a thick/green leaf and instructed
me to 1) score the back of the leaf with my fingernail and 2)place
the leaf in a glass of water until roots started. The roots started
growing from the fleshy/underpart of the leaf, not necessarily near
the crown.

I thought she said it was a Jade plant, yet I can't find any mention
through Google on scoring the fleshy part of the leaf to start root
growth...

Any ideas?

Deion "Mule" Christopher

Hmm, I found this in about two seconds:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/jade.html

Thanks for the quick response, but I am not sure you understand my
needs.

The site you suggested, similar to most of the other sites I have
already Googled, here states: "Jade leaves can also be used to create
a clone, but this method will take much longer before you have a
specimen size plant. Leaves will take only a few days to callous,
after which you simply insert the base of the leaf slightly into
lightly moistened potting soil or rooting medium. It may take a month
or longer for the cutting to root and the plantlet to start growing
from the base of the leaf. Gradually increase the watering as the
plant grows until it has reached a size suitable for repotting."

The site does not mention scoring the underside of the leaf, nor does
itt suggest leaving the plant in water to promote root growth.

I am hoping someone can verify that the plant leaf I was given was
from a Jade plant, or that it was a different plant for which they can
then tell me what it was.

Thanks again,

Deion "Mule" Christopher

Old 28-08-2007, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Deion"Mule" Christopher- Hide quoted text -

Bringing this back to the top with new info:

The wife reminded me that the roots grew on the under-side at the edge
of the leaf where a score was made; there wasn't any root growth in
the scores themselves.

Please someone help me to identify this plant...

Deion "Mule" Christopher