Old 11-08-2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Maddie ask for this to be posted

Hey, Maddie here......
The heat wave here in Faerie Holler has produced more droughts, higher
prices in milk and bread due to grain prices the farmers are having to
pay, lower gasoline prices for whatever reason (!!?? probably in
preparation to Shrub's hike in Fed gas tax....) but the magenta
screaming watermelon pink crape myrtle is loaded with so many flowers
it's leaning over the fence into the pasture where i flung the black
widow spider last week and her eggs and kids and dead mate.......the
white crape myrtle is ****ed at me because i never trimmed the dead bits
back after the killing freeze. but the fig tree is loaded and with all
this heat, i might have figs before October. one can hope.

I blew my grocery budget which is pennies as I'm not working yet, on a
sedum from Lowes knows how to drive me insane. Her name is Frosty
Morn.....she adores this heat.

There is one ginormous frog that is ugly as mud living in the Frog
Holler BBQ fountain. Ferns are thriving because the humidity is
spoiling them despite the heat. It's gotten up to 107o with gods knows
what the heat index is with the humidity (humidity?? in this drought?
yeppers). Black eyed susans, pinched back May knight salvia, Blue
enigmas, towering 4's and I'm gathering seeds to the yellow 4's
frantically to share with anyone wanting them. Zebrina great grand
sisters are crispy on top with thousands of seeds, but below, where I
shoulda whacked it, new growth and new flowers.

no sign of sweet Autumn clematis alas.....a reseeded petunia returned
this time in the pot of yellow Baptismia, fever few is everywhere and I
have one rare clump of snow on the mountain euphorbia I'm praying
reseeds everywhere next year. Poinsettia euphorbia is also everywhere,
but I adore the shots of orange in unexpected places. The hummer is
frantically supping on everything. And the other day he spotted the red
and cream flowers on the crown of thorns euphorbia house plant on the
nook deck railing and was flittering about all squacky and estatic.

Magenta phlox is winding down, so I pinched it, the white dwarf
butterfly bush gets pruned and the flowers are cranking out and
providing sweet warm honey scented flowers for all the floaters.
Monarchs, Artillary, skippers, varieties I have to hunt in the butterfly
book to see who they are.....The double althea in the back has three
colors of double ruffled flowers packed on the branches. I planted them
together and it looks like one bush........

Herbsonne Rudbeckia has reseeded all over but the finches adore the
flowers that nod and flop about like lazy teenagers. I see signs of
fall crocus or colchicums peeping up out of barren pots, the hosta's
underneath the black cherry tree are blowing me away and beginning to
flower. The lighter colors draw your eye as you pull in, but the mass
of foliage is what slaps you up side the head first.

The Cereus cactus has three buds, one is ripening at a fast pace thanks
to this heat and I hope it holds off for it's night debut and one night
performance until Tuesday.........Little sedums on the railings on the
kitchen deck are blush pink in the heat and sun, they look like toes, so
since I dug them in the sands of my sister in law's cottage yard, I'll
call them Michigan toes............gbseg

It's too hot for gardening, but I'm out there sweating buckets, which is
how I almost put my hand upon that black widow female last week. she had
made a nest underneath the pads of prickly pear I'd dug up from Miz
Mary's side where I'd planted them 11 years ago and had decided to plant
them around the mailbox with the rest. It's in the pasture and has been
trampled by the cows since Benton put them back over on my side again.

Downstairs, I have an invasion of Wolf spiders. Not poisonious, but
scare the hell outa me when they confront me and don't run quick enough.
I usually don't kill spiders (except Recluse and maybe a Widow if I
had to) but this has become an exception. The plants on the balcony are
thriving in the heat and humidity because they're the tropicals and
adore this environment. Soon enough it will be fall and time to think of
bulbs and perennials. I will be just hoping I can stay in Faerie Holler
for a season (year) and not be pushed to dig up and move my beloved
plants. Despite my obvious absence in the gardens, a lot of things go
on without me, including the Vinca major.......alas. it's thriving and
growing feet per day it seems. evil stuff......

I miss you all and the lack of communication, and each day is a blessing
when I wake to see the assorted winged dinosaurs at the front suet
basket moving the Heavy Metal grasses and Golden rod that I decided to
let do what it wanted to. The gardens are different again this year and
I don't mind. Soon there will be someone with as much passion as me who
will shape and mold the gardens with his hand and I will tell you when
it comes about. I wish you all well, and I love each one of you. Keep
in touch as best you can, send e-mails to and
soon I hope you'll see me on the newsgroup again! I have lots of
pictures to share on the binaries as well..........((((huge MADDIE
HUG)))))))

madgardener, up on the steamy ridge, back in FAerie Holler overlooking a
hazy and almost obscurred English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7,
Sunset zone 36
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 12-08-2007, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

If its a woody tree, here are some pruing suggestions
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Travis wrote:
Hey, Maddie here......

madsnipper

In less than an hour, this message from madgardner has been posted by
three people. So they're having an outbreak of overkill in Faerie Holler
now?

Please. Please. I understand that some of you like to read her posts,
but must we paper the joint with them? Once is enough.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pennyaline wrote:
Travis wrote:
Hey, Maddie here......

madsnipper

In less than an hour, this message from madgardner has been posted by
three people. So they're having an outbreak of overkill in Faerie Holler
now?

Please. Please. I understand that some of you like to read her posts,
but must we paper the joint with them? Once is enough.

F O

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 12-08-2007, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Pennyaline" wrote in message
Travis wrote:
Hey, Maddie here......

madsnipper

In less than an hour, this message from madgardner has been posted by
three people. So they're having an outbreak of overkill in Faerie Holler
now?

Please. Please. I understand that some of you like to read her posts, but
must we paper the joint with them? Once is enough.

Ohferchrissakes. Think of your mouse click as you would a TV remote......you
don't want to watch a rerun, change the damned channel or turn it off. Get
a grip and loosen up that sphincter.

Val

Old 12-08-2007, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Travis wrote:
Hey, Maddie here......

madsnipper

In less than an hour, this message from madgardner has been posted by
three people. So they're having an outbreak of overkill in Faerie Holler
now?

Please. Please. I understand that some of you like to read her posts, but
must we paper the joint with them? Once is enough.

Ohferchrissakes. Think of your mouse click as you would a TV remote......you
don't want to watch a rerun, change the damned channel or turn it off. Get
a grip and loosen up that sphincter.

Get a grip... loosen up... get a grip... loosen up... grip... loosen...

Sounds like Kegels.

This is not helping my incontinence problem!!!

Whatever. Your analogy is lacking. There was no way to know that two of
them were "reruns" as it were, without reading them in part first. And
besides, true reruns are not aired in response to one soul's
pretty-please to multiple venues. Evidently, she shopped it out to
various whoevers that would post it for her. Evidently, she needs to be
needed (which does not make her unique in this ether, so put your
torches away).

Also not unique in newsgroups is ad hominem attacks on posters who don't
meet individual standards. What can I say besides suck it up.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Pennyaline contains these words:

In less than an hour, this message from madgardner has been posted by
three people. So they're having an outbreak of overkill in Faerie Holler
now?
Please. Please. I understand that some of you like to read her posts,
but must we paper the joint with them? Once is enough.

Save the paper for mopping up your incontinence problem.

. At the time I posted a copy of Maddie's email to the group, no group
duplicates had been downloaded on my screen, obviously the same was true
of the other two posters. The next time I updated, their copies
appeared. They appear in three separate threads because none of us was
aware of what the others were doing. We live in different countries,
use different isps and news servers, so our posts are propagated round
usenet groups in different time zones and routes. That's the nature of
the medium. It's like putting a letter in the postbox to send it across
the world, and being unable to control what time the postman delivers
it, or what time the recipient will get home to read it.

I'm not blaming each person who posted it. I'm blaming the individual
who asked multiple people to post it for her. Why it was necessary for
her to have three people put it up is a puzzler. But it fits right in
with her protracted announcements and updates about her pending absence
from newsgroups, as though she *had* to explain that she wouldn't be
"here," as though something might abort if she didn't keep us abreast of
the sturm und drang, or if we didn't notice.

So it actually is not analogous to just mailing a letter, and it cannot
be blamed on variances in time and space and the speed of message
propagation across the 'net. It's like mailing three letters, each
promising the recipient that he or she is the only one and could they do
this favor, with the only end result of importance being that the sender
reappears, briefly, still a victim of circumstances and relying on the
kindness of strangers... perhaps Maddie DuBois should try the library to
get to a newsreader, or a friend's house.

Many thanks to those who responded to my post and revealed their own
incontinence.
Old 13-08-2007, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Travis wrote:
[...]

Pennyaline, it must be something in the air. I haven't seen Travis that
abrupt before. He and Maddies's other posters are probably a little
defensive at present. Maddie is one of "Wrecked Gardens" minor deities
and she is on hard times of late with no inter-net connection of her
own. I think it has to do with not being able to connect with "use
groups" through the library. Please bear with the group for a while
longer, as she is supposed to get reconnected soon (?). Then you can
read her or skip over her as you wish. With the exception of transient
trolls, we are normally a fairly supportive group (except for Ann who
will scold you for talking to trolls;-).
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 13-08-2007, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Pennyaline wrote:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

What can I say? Chaqu'un á son gout.

Old 14-08-2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Pennyaline wrote:

I'm not blaming each person who posted it.

Your first post clearly did, weasel.

I had to go back to my first post on this and look up what a weasel I
am. Here's what I wrote:

In less than an hour, this message from madgardner has been posted by three people. So they're having an outbreak of overkill in Faerie Holler now?

Please. Please. I understand that some of you like to read her posts, but must we paper the joint with them? Once is enough.

And as you can see, I questioned the pondered an outbreak of overkill in
Faerie Holler. Clearly, *that* points to madgardner and no one else.
What followed was a plea to those who passed the message on to
recognize that once was enough. However, I did overlook the possibility
that each of you was not aware that she had made the same request to
anyone else.

Is that weasel caliber? I don't think so.

I'm blaming the individual
who asked multiple people to post it for her. Why it was necessary for
her to have three people put it up is a puzzler. But it fits right in
with her protracted announcements and updates about her pending absence
from newsgroups, as though she *had* to explain that she wouldn't be
"here," as though something might abort if she didn't keep us abreast of
the sturm und drang, or if we didn't notice.
So it actually is not analogous to just mailing a letter, and it cannot
be blamed on variances in time and space and the speed of message
propagation across the 'net.

The letter analogy referred to three forwarded messages to usenet.
Not to private email.

The letter analogy referred to the lack of control the letter sender has
once said letter has been dropped into the box, as to when it will reach
its destination and when it will be read:
We live in different countries,
use different isps and news servers, so our posts are propagated round
usenet groups in different time zones and routes. That's the nature of
the medium. It's like putting a letter in the postbox to send it across
the world, and being unable to control what time the postman delivers
it, or what time the recipient will get home to read it.

Thus, the letter analogy referred to having no control and essentially
no responsibility for an item once it is sent. This was not the case
with the message she requested be posted in absentia. She sent it to
three people and asked each to send it to the newsgroup. It did not
involve random newsgroup arrival times.

It's like mailing three letters, each
promising the recipient that he or she is the only one

Marilyn did NOT make any such promise. Don't falsify the content of
an email you did not receive ; it makes you look dishonest.

I cannot falsify the content of something I have not seen. I can only
exaggerate/confabulate/make my best guess about its content through the
actions of the recipients. It might make me wrong, but it cannot make me
look dishonest.

M has a decade long history on this group, and many here regard her
as a great asset to it, for her unique gardening posts but also for her
good humour and generosity, so are willing to cut her some slack.

Okay.

woman with poor eyesight is alone and faced with huge personal stress
in all major areas of her life. In such circumstances anyone might be
excused a small slip in their private email.

Agreed, she has problems to deal with. It's good to remember though that
we all have our cross to bear and it is less than heroic to cite our
troubles as a defense when things go awry.
Old 14-08-2007, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy Rose wrote:

What can I say? Chaqu'un á son gout.

And don't forget it.
Old 14-08-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:43:35 -0600, Pennyaline wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:

What can I say? Chaqu'un á son gout.

And don't forget it.

And maybe he could learn to spell it: chacun à son goût

Old 14-08-2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:14:08 -0600, Pennyaline
whined:

plunk.