Old 19-08-2007, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default willow tree and siberian elms are taking over

My ignorant neighbor planted 2 siberian elms right at the fence line
which is less than 6 feet from my back door. He also has a birch and
willow exceeding 30 feet approx 15 feet from my back door. All of
these trees are sitting on my roof and the siberian elms are reaching
into my backdoor and bedroom windows. He neglects them, won't trim
them and will not give me permission to cut them back. I live in
Canada and the law states that I cannot touch them. My only option is
to go to court.

Today we removed our badly cracked and heaved sidewalk and patio and
found enormous roots coming from my neighbors yard. These were the
culprits that destroyed all of the concrete. We axed massive roots
and I want to know if I can apply anything to kill the actual trees.

My elderly neighbor is also paying the consequences for this guys
ignorance. The willow has destroyed several of her trees and is
causing damage to her sunroom. He also told her where to stick it.

I care for special needs foster children and do not have the time or
desire to take this to the courts. Is there anyway to kill the trees
from the exposed roots that are covering my lot?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 19-08-2007, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Is there anyway to kill the trees from the exposed roots that are
covering my lot?

Burn it down, hand grenade, sneak over to your neighbor's property, I
can think of lots of ways. None of them likely to be legal (the law
tends to frown on "self-help" although in many US states you can prune
a tree to the property line. Perhaps the law is different where you are).

I suspect you should look into going to court. It sounds like your
damages are enough to make it worth looking harder at this option.
At least as you tell the story, the odds that you'll come to an
amicable understanding with your neighbor seem low.
Old 19-08-2007, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Who are you and where do you live?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

oups.com...

Old 19-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Registered User

Smile

okay first of all what area of canada do u live in? secondly where did u get your information that there is nothing that u can do about it.
this persons trees are a nuisance to u and your elderly neighbour for the use and enjoyment of your property for one thing and for another thing the branches coming across your fence are also considered a private nuisance.
therefore look into the torte law in canada called private nuisance law.
http://www.bcwatersheds.org/issues/w...wlp/q3-1.shtml
http://www.duhaime.org/LegalResource...-Nuisance.aspx

there are two links that should be able to help u. i would be sure to take pics of those tree roots, of the trees sitting at the top of your house, of where it is near your window etc. get pics also of your neighbours and whats going on there with the trees and also have your neighbour back u up in court if u can cause the more grease to the wheel the better the action on things.
your neighbour for one thing is enroaching on your land and here in canada that isnt legal no matter what anyone tells u your neighbour is responsible for what his trees are doing and is held legally responsible for it.
so good luck and let us know how it goes . cyaaaaa, sockiescat .
Old 19-08-2007, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It is a common law almost everywhere that you can trim overhanging limbs,
usually by city ordinance. Googling Canadian law, there does not seem to be
any universal conflict with this. Consult with your city government.
However, there does seem to be issues regarding the cutting of roots as
you have done, and most probably laws against poisoning your neighbour's
trees.
So, unless your city specifically restricts your cutting of overhanging
limbs, you've gone about this the wrong way, and may be in jeopardy of being
in court anyway, this time as a defendant.

Old 20-08-2007, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 18, 8:41 pm, wrote:
[...]

I live in Alberta and I can assure you that the law states I cannot
touch his trees without the risk of being sued- the lawyers agree the
law is ridiculous as does planning and development. Six years ago one
of this guys willows fell on my house and caused extensive damage to
gutters and eaves- I did not yet know these people and let it go (yes
I am an idiot). Roots up to 8 inches in diameter were under my pad
and have to be removed to repave. They are also right up to my home
foundation. These people are scary and I fear retaliation if I sue.
What to do....

Gracie

Old 20-08-2007, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
My ignorant neighbor planted 2 siberian elms right at the fence line
which is less than 6 feet from my back door. He also has a birch and
willow exceeding 30 feet approx 15 feet from my back door. All of
these trees are sitting on my roof and the siberian elms are reaching
into my backdoor and bedroom windows. He neglects them, won't trim
them and will not give me permission to cut them back. I live in
Canada and the law states that I cannot touch them. My only option is
to go to court.

I know nothing of Canadian law but this seems very much out of line with the
situation in other parts of the world that have as their background English
law. The situation is so common that you would expect the authorities to
have developed some less troublesome mechanism than going to court to
resolve it.

I would first be double-checking with a reliable source to make sure that
this advice was correct before going any further. I don't know about Canada
(again) but here you could approach a solicitor who was doing pro-bono
advice sessions or a chamber magistrate to get free accurate advice on that
situation in about 5 minutes.

If it turns out that in theory you do have to resolve it in court you may be
able to bluff the neigbour with a strongly worded solicitor's letter that
will cost you something but be much cheaper than a court appearance.

David

Old 21-08-2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Roots up to 8 inches in diameter were under my pad
and have to be removed to repave. They are also right up to my home
foundation. These people are scary and I fear retaliation if I sue.
What to do....

Gracie

get a lawyer, BEFORE your foundation is compromised.
much cheaper!