Old 20-08-2007, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Harrii Bougainvellea?

Does anyone know anything about this species of Bougainvellea? I've
had much luck with all the Bouggies that I've tried..but this one tops
the cake. I have it about 10 years and give it the same treatment that
I have given the others that constantly bloomed for me...6 hours of
sun, fertilize and etc. Only twice in those 10 years have I seen an
inkling of a bloom appearing, and both times it was towards the end of
the season here in NYC as I prepare to bring my plants indoors for the
fall. The bloom ( bract, that is ) was a beautiful navy blue. Just
one, and then I had to bring it indoors as the weather was getting too
cool at night to leave it out. That was the end of it..no more blooms.
Anyone here have experience with this type? Is it a "cool" variety, if
there is such a thing with Bougainvelleas? All the sun and watering
and fertilizing does not have the same effect as it does with my other
ones. One time, I thought maybe by repotting with new soil would do
the trick and voila, it did...that is when I got my first bract
showing color..so i thought that would be the answer and so I repotted
it again this year ( hanging basket ) and nothing...and its getting to
that period when it did rarely show some sign of blooming, only this
time the cooling of the weather here in the east is a lot
sooner.....go figure.