Old 19-07-2005, 12:10 AM
Boothbay

Default Bougainvellea in a container

I bought this beautiful Bougainvillea in Florida a couple of weeks ago.
Its hardy and really for outdoors. But I knew I couldn't plant here in
NYC where I live because of the seasons. I was hopeing that if I keep
it in a container and restrain its growth, I could appreciate it each
spring and summmer. Is this possible with this plant? Do I have to keep
pruning it to keep it curtailed?

Old 19-07-2005, 11:35 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Boothbay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought this beautiful Bougainvillea in Florida a couple of weeks ago.
Its hardy and really for outdoors. But I knew I couldn't plant here in
NYC where I live because of the seasons. I was hopeing that if I keep
it in a container and restrain its growth, I could appreciate it each
spring and summmer. Is this possible with this plant? Do I have to keep
pruning it to keep it curtailed?

This plant (depending on the cultivar) will take a little cold weather and a
touch of frost. But they are really subtropical and like heat, they like
direct sun, that's a north aspect below the equator and vice versa. If I
had any idea where in the world NYC was I might hazzard an idea if this
applies. If you live where it snows more than a few drops get a hot house.

If you have it in a good spot you will have no doubt about the issue of
pruning, unless you prune it will take over your life and grab hold of your
children and/or pets. Once established in the right position you can prune
with a chinsaw and it will love you. If the poor little bleeder wont grow
then dont prune it because this is cruel and pointless. Restraining its
growth by root containment may work, I havn't tried it.

David

Old 19-07-2005, 05:31 PM
VMWOOD

A friend gave me a potted Bougainvella last fall and I have had it in
the greenhouse until moving it outside today. Have posted a picture you
may view at http://community.webshots.com/album/277925929GYQtiY/2

This plant is not much larger than it was last fall when it was given
to me so I would guess that container growing slows down the growth of
these plants. If not prunig is no problem with these plants.

Marv-Montezuma, IA
http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood

Old 19-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Leighann

"Boothbay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought this beautiful Bougainvillea in Florida a couple of weeks ago.
Its hardy and really for outdoors. But I knew I couldn't plant here in
NYC where I live because of the seasons. I was hopeing that if I keep
it in a container and restrain its growth, I could appreciate it each
spring and summmer. Is this possible with this plant? Do I have to keep
pruning it to keep it curtailed?

My mother has one in NE KY. She keeps it under fluorescent lighting (in her
house) in the winter and puts it out in the summer. She's had it for
several years.

Leighann