Old 02-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Registered User

Default Plum Tree

I have a plum tree in the back garden. I found out it was a plum tree when I found 5 plums on it the year before last. However I have not had any plums since and i have never had blossom on it either.

Can someone tell me why have I not had any plums since?

Also when is the best time of the year to prune these?

Thanks

Sarah-Jayne
Old 03-09-2007, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default contored hazel

sarah-jayne wrote:
My husband and I moved into our house 5 years ago. In the garden is a
established contored hazel plant. It is not very big but has never
produced any catkins or nuts. I have pruned out the straight branches
as they appear but have still not had any catkins or nuts.

Can anybody help?

Twisted Filberts (Harry Lauder's Walking sticks......contorted
hazelnuts....... Corylus avellana Betulaceae) need another nut tree
planted close by to produce nuts. No catkins?? That's
unusual........plant a butternut somewhere in the yard. If there are no
catkins there might be other problems. pests and diseases are powdery
mildew, blight, canker, dieback, mushroom root rot, fungal spots,
Gymnosporangium rust, bud mites, tent caterpillars, and webworms can
occur............one question.........are you certain that this is an
established contorted hazelnut? Mine is small and establishing itself
in the now overgrown "woods garden" down in true Faerie Holler and it
ALWAYS has catkins. Never mind. If you're absolutely certain that it's
a twisted filbert, plant a butternut tree and it will produce. My own
Harry Lauder's only had scant catkins this year because of the freeze
and way too early growth. Keep us posted on your efforts....

madgardener, up on the ridge, back in FAerie Holler, overlooking a hazy
English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36 where
things are wonderfully changed and rearranging and soon, very very soon
I will be posting a ramble and enormous catch up for my true garden
friends and neighbors, I promise.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

OMG, you are back and all is right with the universe once again.
Ingrid