Old 08-09-2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Diseased Peony - is it Botyrtis?

First time gardener, and things were going well till about a month or so
ago when I noticed that one of the two peonies planted this spring had
some white/gray substance on the leaves. It's been spreading all over
the plant. Can anyone confirm that it is Botrytis? Here are some pictures

http://home.comcast.net/~hgohel/Peony/PeonyDisease.htm

click on the thumbnails to get larger images. In one of the pictures
there's a remnant of a flower with four seed pods or something. I
didn't know if I should deadhead that part or no? Other flowers on the
plant did not leave anything like that behind.

There's another Peony next to this (not pictured) that hasn't yet got
this disease. Somehow I didn't record which plant was which, but one of
the two is 'Monsiuer Jules ...' and the other is 'Karl Rosenfeld' both
obtained from a reputed local nursery.

Anyway, what should be the treatment for this now? Should I apply
something and/or cut off everything on the plant that has the disease
(which won't leave much at this point).

Thanks for your advice,

--
Himanshu
Old 09-09-2007, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Himanshu expounded:

Can anyone confirm that it is Botrytis? Here are some pictures

http://home.comcast.net/~hgohel/Peony/PeonyDisease.htm

Powdery mildew.

Anyway, what should be the treatment for this now? Should I apply
something and/or cut off everything on the plant that has the disease
(which won't leave much at this point).

Don't worry about it, it's cosmetically ugly but won't hurt the plant.
Cut it back this fall and get rid of the foliage (don't compost it,
generally speaking, I always toss the peony foliage. Not worth the
chance of spreading anything; powdery mildew happens when it's
particularly dry and hot out). You may or may not get it back next
summer, but it won't hurt anything.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 09-09-2007, 08:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
Himanshu expounded:

Can anyone confirm that it is Botrytis? Here are some pictures

http://home.comcast.net/~hgohel/Peony/PeonyDisease.htm

Powdery mildew.

Spray it with milk mixed at a rate of 1 part milk to 9 parts water. Use
real milk not UHT or low fat.

[IMG] code is On

tree peony - tree peony.jpg (01/12) seph... Garden Photos 2 01-06-2007 05:58 PM
tree peony - tree peony.jpg (01/12) Ann Garden Photos 1 01-06-2007 05:38 PM
tree peony - tree peony.jpg (12/12) [email protected] Garden Photos 0 01-06-2007 06:20 AM
diseased leaf Tom Bell Orchids 1 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Diseased plant altered genetically? VoySager Gardening 8 13-02-2003 05:25 AM