Old 09-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Registered User

Default Honda hrb425c mower

I have just bought a second hand mower and it is spot on apart from the self drive function is not working properly. If you lift the rear roller in the air and engage the drive the roller will turn but when on the ground it hasnt enough power to push the mower forward. the mower cuts fine and apart from the self frive runs perfectly fine.

Any one else had this problem and fixed it

cheers

dan

Old 09-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Registered User

as far as i can tell the power is not the issue the mower cuts fine and sounds to be running at the right revs.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Most self-drive mowers that I'm familiar with use a belt to transfer
the power from the motor shaft to the gearbox for the front wheels.
Lack of drive usually means the belt is slipping and needs tightening
or replaced.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 10, 4:54?pm, snotbottom wrote:
Most self-drive mowers that I'm familiar with use a belt to transfer
the power from the motor shaft to the gearbox for the front wheels.
Lack of drive usually means the belt is slipping and needs tightening
or replaced.

My experience is just the opposite, all those I've owned employed a
pressure clutch... but then it's been many years since I've owned a
self propelled push mower... if you've enouhg lawn to require self
propelled you're much better off with a riding mower.... self
propelled are just too darned heavy to use in the push mode, sand
there are always lots of instances when self propelled can't be used.
Self propelled also breaks down much more often, I wouldn't own
another.

I've recently noticed that push/self-propelled mowers aren't nearly as
nicely engineered functionality-wise as they used to be... they are
all so darn heavy and so cumbersomely bulky. Years ago I could buy a
light weight 18" rotary with an aluminum deck (some even magnesium)...
I don't think anyone makes less than a 21" width anymore and they are
all of steel, very heavy and the decks unecessarily high. I recently
decided I wanted a narrow lightweight mower for mowing between the
plants on the sloping banks of my small creek... can't find one
anywhere.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Ipswich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancuprar View Post
I have just bought a second hand mower and it is spot on apart from the self drive function is not working properly. If you lift the rear roller in the air and engage the drive the roller will turn but when on the ground it hasnt enough power to push the mower forward. the mower cuts fine and apart from the self frive runs perfectly fine.

Any one else had this problem and fixed it

cheers

dan
Sounds like your clutch cable needs adjusting. Honda's normally have a thread at the top of the cable. Putting more tension on the cable is simple. Loosen the lock nuts & screw the thread anti-clockwise.

There are a couple of other regular issues with these mowers, most of them being caused by the mower being stuffed full of grass.
Regards,

Paul

[IMG] code is On

Honda Mower Recall Chris Lawns 0 16-10-2003 01:32 PM
Valve clearances for Honda mower Mark Atanovich Lawns 3 16-03-2003 09:32 PM
Honda Harmony Riding Mower Electrode Lawns 0 15-02-2003 07:35 PM
Drive Belt Tension on Honda Mower? Brian Feldmann Lawns 2 26-11-2002 04:02 AM
help required for honda motor mower Laurie United Kingdom 1 22-10-2002 10:10 AM