Old 12-11-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default William & Others, ?

Val wrote:
"Hettie®" wrote in message

This is the place I order most of my bird stuff. Very nice people on the
phone, quick shipping, good prices. http://www.nottawawildbirdsupply.com/

They have some nice thistle feeders.

Val

I really like that antique brass one. Wonder if that would attract
them. Thanks for another good link.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

William Wagner wrote:
In article ,
Hettie® wrote:

www.birdfood.co.uk/.../goldfinch_01.jpg

Janet (Scotland)

Hi Janet, well at least we both have finches, and that is a good thing.

Now I see at my bestnest link a lot are exactly the same as at the link
William supplied me. I see the upsidedown one, too. I don't mind
upsidedown, but don't want one where that is the only position they can
feed, fun at times to watch, but looks unnatural. I guess you can't
have it both ways.

May be their nature. I've been filling up the feeder every other
day. Hard to think a wood pecker can hammer away for a grub but they do
for which I am grateful.

Haven't seen my yellow-bellied sapsucker around lately, hope a few will
be back, pecks on my cedar shingles & trees. Couple years back had a
whole flock of larger brown woodpeckers, think that's what they were,
you'd see them all over, feeding on the lawns around here. I fed them
and noticed they would go to the dry cat food and carnivore pile. One
got in the house; I got him out safely which was luck how he hid in an
empty box in the top of the closet, just held the lid shut, took it out
and let it go. I wonder what happened to them.

I have a hard time wondering just what is natural or not. Closer to
human ideals seem to make the question a bit bias. Dung beetles come to
mind. Anyway these upside finches seem to come back look about upright
then spin to the inverse without thinking about it.

True, glass is made from sand. I like wood and don't care for plastic
for ornamental things. But it sure is wonderful to have it. Think the
kids would be better off with not so many bright colors in their
environment, everything plastic now, not all bad.

I don't care if the finches spin or don't spin. For a photo, I'd rather
not have them upside down; otherwise I don't care. I would settle for
just attracting some.

PS Hummers can't walk weird world eh?

I didn't know that, I'll read the book, at least some of it. That is
odd. I can't remember if butterflies and moths can walk or not. Seems
like the little ones climb when they are inside, not sure.

Bill who hopes you enjoy birding for a long time.

RED Flowers attract as would a red car.

I've been hoping for a Mac version of this for years.

http://www.thayerbirding.com/dnn/

I think I'll pass on that, but it looks neat. If I can get a photo of a
bird, somebody on the bird forum or my photo forum always seems to know
what it is, then I can look up more about it. Some of the bird photos
good amateurs post just blow me away, snowy owls, loons, etc.

Back to what I was doing. Photoshop is acting up, have to try to find a
fix for that so I can finish some wedding photos. Always something.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default finch feeder

"Hettie®" wrote in message
I really like that antique brass one. Wonder if that would attract them.
Thanks for another good link.

I have one very similar to that antique brass feeder. I snagged a couple of
big yellow satin ribbon bows out of a sale bin and wired them on top of my
thistle feeder when I first hung it up. Yellow seems to be a goldfinch
magnet. As soon as the first goldfinches showed up I took the bows off.
They've been coming back for several years now that they know where the
feeder is.

Val

Old 13-11-2007, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Val wrote:
"Hettie®" wrote in message

I really like that antique brass one. Wonder if that would attract them.
Thanks for another good link.

I have one very similar to that antique brass feeder. I snagged a couple of
big yellow satin ribbon bows out of a sale bin and wired them on top of my
thistle feeder when I first hung it up. Yellow seems to be a goldfinch
magnet. As soon as the first goldfinches showed up I took the bows off.
They've been coming back for several years now that they know where the
feeder is.

Wow, thanks, I will try that. My neighbors will think I have really
lost it. I will take the ribbon off if any find it.

Val

Old 14-11-2007, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Have you Ever Seen?

I discovered Bumblebee moths this summer. Had never heard of them or
Hummingbird moths. Cool looking creatures.

here is the bumblebee moth I found

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z...urrent=031.jpg

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z...urrent=030.jpg

Vicky