Old 06-11-2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default questions on sweet betsy cuttings

Hi Y'all,

Someone just gave me some cuttings from a "sweet betsy" bush. Anyway,
for whatever reason, she had been trying to root the cuttings in some
water in the house. She's had them like this for a few weeks now. She
hasn't seen any signs of growth so she brought them to me!
There is still some life in the twigs, but not sure of what to do with
it myself. I usually just transplant the cuttings & sprigs directly into
it's new home outdoors. Since she was keeping them in water only
indoors, should I try to put it outdoors, or continue with indoor care
only through the winter?? Kinda thrown me off here...not sure what to do
with it. Any help, facts, or suggestions will be appreciated!
Thanks!
Rae

PS: if you've forgotten or are new here, I'm in the "sandhills region"
of NC. And it has been frosting here at night! Finally acting like
fall...now if we could only get some more rain!
Old 07-11-2007, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

rachael simpson expounded:

[...]

Ah, the problem with common names. Is it this plant? Calycanthus
floridus a.k.a. Sweet Shrub, Carolina Allspice, Strawberry Shrub,
Bubby Bush, Sweet Betsy http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/550/

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 07-11-2007, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote:

Ah, the problem with common names. Is it this plant? Calycanthus
floridus a.k.a. Sweet Shrub, Carolina Allspice, Strawberry Shrub,
Bubby Bush, Sweet Betsy http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/550/

Yep, Yep! That's it! I couldn't remember the scientific name when I
posted my question...