Old 12-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Registered User

Default biodiversity

how many of you use your own seeds over and over again and have seeds dating back generations? and if so what? as so much of the things grown are homogenized and we are losing many natural gene varieties of many plants, especially fruits and vegetables. biodiversity international in a recent article and a conference have said that
"there is a different kind of agriculture that is taking place in people’s back yards, one that allows crop diversity to thrive and to evolve,” he said. In fact, it is thanks to the efforts of Europe’s gardeners and small farmers that many rare varieties of well-known crops such as beans, celery, cabbage, lettuce, and tomatoes continue to exist."
__________________
www.yuckyslugsandsnails.co.uk - yucky slimy slugs and snails
www.macklamm.com - anyone moving to brussels, belgium my flats for rent
Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.seedsavers.org/

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 12-11-2007, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Jim is offline

globalart4u wrote:

how many of you use your own seeds over and over again and have seeds
dating back generations? and if so what?

red and yellow bell peppers. butter beans. my pepper
seeds are forth generation and my butter beans are seventh
generation.
Old 13-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
globalart4u wrote:

how many of you use your own seeds over and over again and have seeds
dating back generations? and if so what?

red and yellow bell peppers. butter beans. my pepper
seeds are forth generation and my butter beans are seventh
generation.
oh wow they must taste good much better than some of the varieties bought in the shops.

my mum kept throwing out the potato peelings s for years and we now get different varieties of potatoes and most with some of fruit looks like an apple and i have dried it this year to see if it is a sort of seed and gives anything.

we received seeds for long white radish from an aunt who has been growing them for years so will try them out in the garden this year and hopefully it will grow

the seedsavers site looks really interesting thank you