Old 19-11-2007, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Soil makes you happy!

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 11/19/07 9:39 AM, in article , "D.
Staples" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Ann wrote:

Ready on the popcorn Scott?

Billy expounded:

Get a grip lady before you come off the tracks. John is always being
attacked by Don Staples and it was to Don I was referring. Anything
else, is in what is left of your mind.
Ya, so you were calling Don staples a 'Bush supporting witch from
Massachusetts'. Ya.
No, I was advising John not to get locked into battling authorities
("Most text books treat soil as if it is dead. Defined as silt, loam
and clay and rocks.")
I can see now, in hind sight, that I should have clipped your response
from my follow up but I didn't think there was anyone stupid enough to
make a connection between your post and mine. Imagine my surprise when I
discovered it was you and not Don. Duh.
Then I realized that it really was you hassling John about his vision of
reality, which is like trying to decide if light is a wave or a packet.
I thought my best part was calling you a witch, which has certain
resonance with New England, or a word that rhymed with witch. Obviously,
I was too subtle.
John's vision of reality is functional and doesn't hurt anybody. More
than I can say about your boy George. What, we're coming up on 4,000
dead patriotic Americans and your boy George wants to go to war with
Iran which hasn't broken any international laws?
Let's not even get into his support for Cargill and Archer Daniel
Midlands.
Get a life.
I have a life and that means that I must go to bed now. I don't know how
much of you I can stand but I will try to amplify my opinion in a couple
of days, when I can waste more time.
No, you were trying to instigate John into thinking I was attacking
him. Anyone with a modicum of reading comprehension can see that.

You are the one with a one-track mind, and a very narrow track it is,
too.

My feelings for Bush have nothing to do with this thread, only to do
with your own twisted hate-filled mind. Bush-hating has blinded you.
Poor little singlle-minded man.

Nice waffling.

That's not waffling - opinions on soil and politics do not have to conform
to one school of thought. Ann and I are both organic gardeners and both
politically conservative. I hate Bush and can hardly wait for him to be
gone. I don't know Ann's opinion, don't care about it either.

The waffling was in reference to Billy.
Old 19-11-2007, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"D. Staples" expounded:

Nice waffling.

That's not waffling - opinions on soil and politics do not have to conform
to one school of thought. Ann and I are both organic gardeners and both
politically conservative. I hate Bush and can hardly wait for him to be
gone. I don't know Ann's opinion, don't care about it either.

Cheryl, you and I are in total agreement.

The waffling was in reference to Billy.

I knew that, Don. )
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 20-11-2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Don keep talking about degrees. Leave tree talk to people that have a
little understanding of them. Your knowledge should get you a job on Bush's
farm in Texas. He loves hiring and putting people in positions that they
know nothing about.

Other than that, CHOW!

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"D. Staples" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"D. Staples" wrote:

symplastless wrote:
[Following the same logic we are just a couple
of dollars worth of inanimate chemicals, whose form, matrix if you
will, conjures up the phenomenon of life. ]

By weight we are made up of 98% of the same chemicals as trees. What
makes us different is the way the chemicals are connected.
(carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, and phosphorus)
Life is a journey powered by the sun. We are made up of chemicals
borrowed from the earth. In death, those chemicals are returned. The
theme of life appears to be buildup and breakdown.

You need to read your dictionary and learn the difference between
elements and chemicals.

Beware a so called tree biologist that has never studied biology.

Not me. I have a degree in chemicals. It's only a B.S. (here's a straight
line if you want it) but what is yours?

What difference does it make? I will match your BS with my first BS. Now,
tell me about John's education, that allows him to be a tree biologist.
What ever that is.

OH, that's right, your just in it for the troll.

Old 20-11-2007, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Don keep talking about degrees. Leave tree talk to people that have a
little understanding of them. Your knowledge should get you a job on
Bush's farm in Texas. He loves hiring and putting people in positions
that they know nothing about.

Other than that, CHOW!

That's "ciao", scholar boy.

Old 20-11-2007, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 11/19/07 12:40 AM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
"D. Staples" wrote:

symplastless wrote:
[...]

Physics!

One of the heavies;-)

I wonder if Scott has any popcorn left?
well, if you remember kids, this all started because the witch from
Mass. was contradicting the books that John (aka symplastless) had read
that only referred to the mineral composition of soil. "You must have
read the wrong books", Ann wrote to John (Nov.17,3:58). This was
prefaced by John having written that the text books that he had read
referred to soil as inert elements (not in the elemental sense) and he
then posted a definition of "soil" from Webster online 1: firm land :
earth2 a: the upper layer of earth that may be dug or plowed and in
which plants grow b: the superficial unconsolidated and usually
weathered part of the mantle of a planet and especially of the earth . .
.. yada, yada, yada. John gave the accepted definition of soil. Where
upon, our hapless hero, the "Troll" from California, thinking that John
was under attack again from the "Flanged Headed" forester from god knows
where. Here our "Hero" (to err is human, to forgive is divine, to break
is to buy) resolutely puts his foot on a banana peel and counsels John
to avoid getting into an "authorities war with the "Flange Headed"
forester and, with "great" trepidation, agrees with the evil, Bush
supporting witch of Mass. that reading "Teaming with Microbes" (your
getting your money's worth Jeff) would be a good idea. Go figure.

This is where the story of the "Tar Baby" becomes instructive. (The more
you mess with it, the worse it gets.) I have tried to avoid conversation
with the witch but she seems set on tracking me down. In trying to
apologize to the putative lady, she accuses me of (1) being a troll, (2)
being obsessed, (3) having an agenda, and she uses vulgar language
("WTF"). (1) Troll is in the eye of the beholder. She could also be
accused of trollism for foisting her personal opinions on others. (2)
Obsessed? About Bush? Everyone should be as he personally personifies
evil. Subjecting Americans, Iraqis, and Afghanis to the nightmare of war
for his personal gain. Evil! Oh. I voted for Goldwater before he and
George McGovern became good friends. (3) I have an agenda? My only
agenda is what is going to be for dinner tonight.

That's all I got to say on the subject.

Scott, you got any beer to go with the pop corn?

The Sun is below the tree line on my hill (where it will stay until
mid-January) and only the top of the trellis gets any Sun now which
accounts for the struggling zuchetta. I'm still getting a few tomatoes.
They are mostly the Stupice that started our belated season. Still
getting a few lemon cucumbers and the shivering peppers have produced a
little bit more. The "hounds from hell" took out about half of my
lettuce garden and the salad that I can stand least, arugula, is the
most successful. I have started covering it with newspaper before I
amend the soil. I'll be looking over my stock of seeds and consider what
worked well for us over the long week-end coming up.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Old 20-11-2007, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Don keep talking about degrees. Leave tree talk to people that have a
little understanding of them. Your knowledge should get you a job on
Bush's farm in Texas. He loves hiring and putting people in positions
that they know nothing about.

Other than that, CHOW!

That's "ciao", scholar boy.

So now we are giving Italian lessons?
Buenos knockers Joe.
Not your's but in general;-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Old 20-11-2007, 12:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Billy expounded:

This is where the story of the "Tar Baby" becomes instructive.

Or any story about lying.

(The more
you mess with it, the worse it gets.)

Yes, you should know, because no matter how much you try to twist the
story, anyone can see who is 'putative' here in this thread.

I have tried to avoid conversation

No you haven't, you've done nothing but insult and provoke, like any
good troll.

with the witch but she seems set on tracking me down.

You are the one who started it with the namecalling.

In trying to
apologize to the putative lady,

Never once have you ever tried to apologize to me, troll, which is
obvious throughout this thread.

she accuses me of (1) being a troll,

If the shoe fits, wear it.

(2) being obsessed,

Which you are, with draging your politicas into everything.

(3) having an agenda,

See (2) above

and she uses vulgar language ("WTF").

Waa! She used a dirty word! And trolls never do that!

(1) Troll is in the eye of the beholder. She could also be
accused of trollism for foisting her personal opinions on others.

Are you out of your mind? You are the one constantly and continually
foisting your politics in all of your posts. They have nothing to do
with the definition of soil.
..
(2)Obsessed? About Bush? Everyone should be as he personally personifies
evil. Subjecting Americans, Iraqis, and Afghanis to the nightmare of war
for his personal gain. Evil! Oh. I voted for Goldwater before he and
George McGovern became good friends. (3) I have an agenda? My only
agenda is what is going to be for dinner tonight.

Who cares? This thread was started by me about the joys of working
the soil. Your obsessions are what sent the thread spiralling to
this. John and I had a discussion and are over it. You're just
flailing around trying to continue to fan flames.

Now why don't you get the life you claim to have. So far it doesn't
sound like you have anything at all buttrolling in garden newsgroups.
Old 20-11-2007, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/20/07 4:30 PM, in article ,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:56:15 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 11/20/07 10:48 AM, in article
,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 06:40:33 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 11/19/07 9:46 PM, in article
,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:13:05 -0500, "symplastless"
wrote:

Don keep talking about degrees. Leave tree talk to people that have a
little understanding of them. Your knowledge should get you a job on
Bush's
farm in Texas. He loves hiring and putting people in positions that they
know nothing about.

Other than that, CHOW!

Do you mean CIAO?

Mean he's not inviting all of us to Thanksgiving dinner?

I don't eat animals anyway.

But I bet you'd devour my roasted root veggies! And my uncle makes the best
squash you've ever had!
=

One of my favorite things are plain beets, cubed small, coated in
olive oil and garlic powder and roasted. Same for carrots, only those
I roast in a pan with shallots till they carmelize.

One other favorite is acorn squash, halved and drizzled with olive
oil, but also some turbinado sugar or maple syrup (the real stuff, not
Aunt Jamima).

Try some sweet potatoes roasted with olive oil (butter) and rosemary until
totally brown on the outside and so sweet.

Ever try maple sugar on your squash???