Old 20-11-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default spider mites on tomatoes

Does anyone have any suggestions how to safely kill mites on tomatoes in a
greenhouse? I tried organics and they don't work. Hosing them doesn't work
and Neem oil with
a dab of soap doesn't work.

Old 20-11-2007, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:54:59 -0600, "Manelli Family"
wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions how to safely kill mites on tomatoes in a
greenhouse? I tried organics and they don't work. Hosing them doesn't work
and Neem oil with
a dab of soap doesn't work.

Spider mites hate water spraying. I found that alternate treatments
work better than any one kind of treatment. You may need to treat
every 4-6 days. Spray under the leaves. Bonide sells a miticide
concentrate--I think it is "organic" and contains clove oil. A soapy
spray is another good treatment--make sure not to get the soap into
the soil. Read about spider mites to understand how to control them.
Consider predators. Spider mites are tough!
Old 20-11-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions how to safely kill mites on tomatoes in a
greenhouse? I tried organics and they don't work. Hosing them doesn't work
and Neem oil with
a dab of soap doesn't work.

Spider mites hate water spraying. I found that alternate treatments
work better than any one kind of treatment. You may need to treat
every 4-6 days. Spray under the leaves. Bonide sells a miticide
concentrate--I think it is "organic" and contains clove oil. A soapy
spray is another good treatment--make sure not to get the soap into
the soil. Read about spider mites to understand how to control them.
Consider predators. Spider mites are tough!

It's extremely hard to spray anything other than water under the leaves with
the water wand. The spray bottles wont work upsidedown. I'll have to get a
pressure sprayer. The plants are bushy and even reaching all the top leaves
isn't easy. I think I will do a search online and learn more about mites.